1975 mercruiser 260

fourwheeler19

Recruit
took my boat out last week and it dies at an idle and shifting forward to neutral or neutral to reverse but starts back up no problem and runs great at full or half throttle when at home it will idle great for about 5 minutes once warmed up to about 140 it dies at idle unless giving in more throttle has new plugs and gas filters any ideas and does anybody know what kind of distributor i have in the pic and what to time it at thanks

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 0

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: 1975 mercruiser 260

Maybe you have 2 problems

Do a search on here
1. interrupter switch, and the lower shift cable

2. Sound like your carb needs cleaning. When the choke opens your losing the correct mix.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

does anybody know what kind of distributor i have in the pic and what to time it at thanks

:welcome: Welcome aboard! That appears to be a Mercruiser Thunderbolt distributor. Just FYI... in 1975 it would have been a 250hp not a 260 and the correct timing is 8 degrees BTDC at idle. Here is a link to the Mercruiser service manual for that engine:

Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 2 - 1974-1977 All Engines & Drives

Section 2 covers the electrical system and section 8 covers all the misc. specifications

Here is a link to a bunch of other helpful Mercruiser stuff:

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...cellaneous-mercruiser-information-329915.html

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Doesnt look like any Merc distributor I ever saw, I am guessing Mallory.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

took my boat out last week and it dies at an idle and shifting forward to neutral or neutral to reverse but starts back up no problem and runs great at full or half throttle when at home it will idle great for about 5 minutes once warmed up to about 140 it dies at idle unless giving in more throttle has new plugs and gas filters any ideas and does anybody know what kind of distributor i have in the pic and what to time it at thanks

It'll take a week for my eyes to uncross after reading that.... How about some punctuation? Make it more readable and you might get some more answers.