Noobie Boat owner - few small things need help!

Booda72

Cadet
ROCKER SWITCH - 2.jpgWINDOW BRACE.jpg

Finally after many years waiting, I finally own my first Boat. It's a 1990 Glastron Sierra 175

Two things - bilge/blower rocker switch kinda 'gummy' and neither stay on. Anyone know where to get this switch (has light to show when on). Name on it says mcgill if that helps. Pic only shows wiring sorry...hoping this just standard rocker switch.

Other problem have (see other pic) is the window support brace is broken at top, the black thing metal ball sits in is broke so doesn't stay on the ball....do i need replace who support bar or can i replace just that black piece?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

iwaterdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Noobie Boat owner - few small things need help!

I would look at a auto parts store for a similar switch. very inexpensive.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would look at a auto parts store for a similar switch. very inexpensive.

He might try some contact cleaner first... douse it.... work the switch while squirting it. You might get lucky. You can get contact cleaner at Radio Shack or even in the electrical department of Lowes, Home Depot, etc. If it doesn't work then replace the switch. Like you said, auto supply house.

Booda72

Cadet

Not sure that other posts worked correctly.

iwaterdave - thanks for tip I will check there. I was just concerned that maybe this wasn't gonna be standard switch and fit exactly into current panel

jay - never thought of simple things. So overwhelmed with new boat (and over excited), I will try clean it up bit and see if get it working.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For the windshield support, it looks something like the ball and socket ends used on gas springs, but difficult to see in the picture.

Like this maybe? Except they sell a minimum of 8000 at a time...
Plastic Ball Socket - China Plastic Ball Socket

I haven't found anyone that sells them separately. My boat has Attwood gas springs for the engine compartment cover. An end was broken like yours. When I asked about a source to purchase replacements, they were kind enough to send me a few.

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the winshield supports I'd suggest doing a google search and replacing the entire support. Because its a boat, Murphys Law dictates that if you replace the one end, the other end will break shortly after that. They usually only run between $12-20 each and I've seen pairs sold for under $30 on ebay

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I`ve seen those windshield supports in West Marine catalogs.

Booda72

Cadet

Excellent; thank you very much everyone.