New Boater needs help! PLEASE!!!

deltadawn13

Recruit
Ok boating veterans my family and I are new to boating. Have been looking for awhile and have it narrowed down to 4. Which one would you suggest and maybe a quick why. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2000 Chaparral 180 SSE Merc 4.3 LX 190 h.p. ($9,995)
1993 Wellcraft Bowrider (not sure of exact) 22 ft with 7.4L motor ($9000)
2007 Bayliner Flight Series 175 with Mercruiser 135hp ($10,000)
192 Captiva Rinker Bowrider 19 1/2 ft long, 5.0 Mercruiser ($9200)

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Boater needs help! PLEASE!!!

You haven't given us anything to work with. What do you see yourself doing with your boat? Where are you going to use it? If in salt water, does that mean the sound or does that mean going outside into blue water? How many folks are you planning to carry and to what age group do they belong (adults? kids? teenagers?)?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any and all help would be appreciated.

The best advice is narrow down what you might really be looking for.

As Jay indicated in his post, what is the PRIMARY purpose of you activities, people count, etc.

Look at what you've chosen: ranging from from a 1993 to a 2007 and from a 135hp to a 300+hp engine.

Way, way to vast. It looks like your stuck in a specific price range which is ok, but not with that varying of a degree.

Mark

deltadawn13

Recruit

Sorry like I said totally new to all of this. Primary use will be fresh water lake boating (live in OK) for a family of 5 (2 adults and kids 17, 15 & 10) plus probably 2-3 friends to join on regular basis. I know the boats vary alot. Price is the main thing we are concerned with and these are just the best ones we have found. Didnt know if there is a big difference in brand of boats?? We have heard to stay away from the Bayliner from some and others love them. Havent heard much about the Rinker or Wellcraft.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Primary use will be fresh water lake boating (live in OK) for a family of 5 (2 adults and kids 17, 15 & 10) plus probably 2-3 friends to join on regular basis.

First, should have done in my first post: Welcome to IBOATS

So are you saying you may be having up to 8 people all at the same time and want to be at some sort of 30+ mph speed?
And stay under $10k as the purchase price?

Well, that to me says you're going to be needing a boat greater than 20 feet and have some kind of v8 to haul them around.

You may get varying opinions on brands but really you want a boat that you can have checked out to be solid in the floor, stringers and transom along with a mechanic to check out the engine and drive. A solid Bayliner is better than a rotten transom in another high brand name boat in my opinion.

Mercury and Volvo are the power systems to look for; no OMC as they are out of business and have been for some years.

Boats are not cheap-to-keep: they require more maintenance than a car and seem to suck gas at a higher rate also.

Mark

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice

I've also encountered the same dilemma. I, however, am taking the build/restore route, versus the buying a boat 'right out' for use.

IMHO, I would take a bowrider OB. Others may disagree, but I like the OB.

amadio1

Cadet

Deltadawn,

I also recently purchased my first boat (8 months ago), so I thought I would let you know a few of the small things I have found. First, be aware that there is much more maintenance then you might think needed to keep a boat in tip-top shape. Theres more to boats then cars. In my case I am finding that I should set aside $1000 a year for maintenance and minor repairs on boat and trailer when they should surface. My purchase was an 18' searay open bow with the merc 3.0. After having the boat out several times, I personally find that 4 people is all I want in it at a time. It can seat many more then 4, however after 4 people it feels to cramped and with that many people all the extra weight affects performance of the 3.0 enough to where it just doesn't feel comfortable for water sports. For a family of 5, I would personally look at 19' and above, and avoid the 3.0 135hp motor if you plan on doing watersports with everyone on board. If you plan on having friends come along on a regular basis, you might want to go even bigger. One thing I wish I had done... rent a boat and take it out for an afternoon and take everyone along. You will know within a few hours if the size of the boat is a fit or not.

southkogs

Staff member

Howdy Dawn!

Do two things for us ... tell us where you're located and give us the links to those boats. We love to help people shop 'round here :)

Don't worry as much about brand in a used boat as you do about condition. You want a boat that was well kept by someone who liked to take care of their stuff ... namely a boat. Anything that hints of a project is gonna' be tough for you to enjoy.

You're gonna' need something about 20 - 22' in order to get 8 people on it regularly. And you're gonna' need a pretty beefy engine to keep all of that going draggin' someone on skis or a tube.

Also - are ya' towing the boat or keeping it in a slip? Are ya' boatin' on big water (ocean / great lakes) or on inland or protected water (bays / lakes / rivers)?

Welcome aboard!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

many people find they don't take out as many people as they thought they would, after the first few trips. Stuffing 8 people all day on a crowded sofa boat on a lake on a hot summer day is torment. But I know teens like to have their friends. Hopefully you can drop some off on the shore somewhere while taking the others skiing or whatever. And the 17 year old is a driver; the 15 year old will be if you are under 20', so you can turn him or her loose on the lake while you relax on the shore.

a boat rated for X people is not comfortable for X (unless they are small children). At least subtract 2 to be comfortable.

If you are new to boating you need to pay for reliability. That means a newer smaller boat instead of an older larger boat. And going from a single axle to double is a price increase. Have you also priced storage and insurance based on length?

Although the lake boaters buy them, the typical i/o bowrider "sofaboat" is about the worst design for active family boating. All that built-in padding, wrap-around dashboards, plush seats and big honking engine box are at the expense of passengers, their gear, and their comfort.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Great condition, 8 people, sufficient HP for $10K = PATIENCE!!!! Great deals are out there but very rare! Just found my neighbor a 205 Cobia 214 with a Yamaha 200 and aluminum trailer & electronics for $14,000. Only drawback is the 2005 motor is not a 4 stroke. Still a $a20K - $22K boat in great shape with all maint records. Patience as great deals require time and cash in hand.

TilliamWe

Banned

1. Price is too High. (Boat is too small for what you want to do)
2. Price is WAY too high (Boat is probably the right size for what you want to do)
3. Price is too high (boat is WAY too small/underpowered for what you want to do)
3. Price is too high. (size might be ok)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Great condition, 8 people, sufficient HP for $10K = PATIENCE!!!! Great deals are out there but very rare! Just found my neighbor a 205 Cobia 214 with a Yamaha 200 and aluminum trailer & electronics for $14,000. Only drawback is the 2005 motor is not a 4 stroke. Still a $a20K - $22K boat in great shape with all maint records. Patience as great deals require time and cash in hand.

that is exactly what this buyer needs; that's a great rig for family boating, very versatile, easy to run, fix and maintain, made for outdoor use and requires minimal cosmetic care. You could do fine with a motor down to 150 and I prefer 2 strokes so that's not too bad either.
Delta look at his and get one like it.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that is exactly what this buyer needs; that's a great rig for family boating, very versatile, easy to run, fix and maintain, made for outdoor use and requires minimal cosmetic care. You could do fine with a motor down to 150 and I prefer 2 strokes so that's not too bad either.

HAHAHA.... Never saw a boat made for indoor use. Sorry, just had to.....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

HAHAHA.... Never saw a boat made for indoor use. Sorry, just had to.....

Meaning the sofa boats that can't be left uncovered and have to be dried out and hold water in the carpet and can't handle sun, rain, dust, small children and their snacks, muddy feet, etc. It's like using your living room furniture around your pool. Just not a good idea.

Happy is the boater whose boat is happy with just an occasional hosing off or rainstorm.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The 2 stroke is one reason the price is lower. ALMOST everyone wants a 4 stroke now and that has helped the price be low on this one.