1979 Chrysler 45 HP outboard NO POWER ON WATER OR UNDER LOAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiardking

Cadet
Hello
Im new to the forum and new to outboard motors
not new to 2 stroke or motors in general

my uncle gave me a 16 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 1979 45 hp chrysler 2 stroke engine that had sat for 5 years

MY PROBLEM IS NO POWER IN WATER UNDER A LOAD ???

Here what I have done to get motor started
new plugs
checked screen filter at fuel pump (its clean and clear)
new prime bulb
new in-line fuel filter
disassembled carb and chem dipped for 3-4 days then reassembled I replaced float and bowl gasket also
checked spark coil to top plug had great spark , coil to bottom plug has very weak spark ( I suspect points for poor spark ????? I havent checked them yet )

fresh gas mixed at 50:1

OK so this is what Ive done so far
motor starts and idles ruff but will idle on its own , but I would like to improve idle
Motor REVS outside of water and in water in neutral

took to lake today and could never get the boat up to speed, I got maybe 5-10 MPH not enough speed to plane out,motor just never REVS like when in neutral and has no punch or power ,
I would think this 45 HP should go 25-35 MPH pushing a 16 ft aluminum

Where can I start in diagnosing this issue I talked to my uncle and he said last time motor was running it ran out fine
he said they even pulled kids on tube with it but remember it has sat for 5+ years

motor was free and not seized my uncle gave me the fogging oil he said he used every year for the winter

Thinks I plan to check

check Fuel Pump diafram
check compression
check Points (what is stock GAP??)

is there a idle adjust screw on the carb ???
this carb looks super simple and was pretty sure I got it clean and put back together correctly

OK so this is what I got and what Ive done

Need some help and direction from expert on what to check so I can get out on lake in time for some Prime Crappie fishing

Thanks

Chad

billiardking

Cadet
Re: 1979 Chrysler 45 HP outboard NO POWER ON WATER OR UNDER LOAD

UPDATE

Compression is 120 on both cylinders
And bottom plug was clean as a whistle like it was just installed I don't believe it's firing at all
That is the coil that was putting out very little spark

Where are the points on this motor ? Under flywheel ???

I don't have a lot of experience with points I replaced and set them once on a older bay liner inboard motor and once on a old motor cycle

If they are corroded of gap is off can this cause week spark on coil feeding bottom jug ???

Or is coil just going out and needs to be replaced ???

Thanks
Chad

johnbottsr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am probably not qualified to answer any questions but I am curious.
Did you check for spark on the bottom plug?

Should be pretty easy to tell if it is firing or not.

billiardking

Cadet

Yes that's what I stated before about weak spark on coil that goes to bottom plug
The spark on that hole is weak just barely throwing a spark on that plug I knew that before I started the motor

But are points the cause or is it the coil pack it self ???

Thanks

Chad

wickware

Lieutenant

I would suggest pulling the flywheel and checking the Magneto System If it has one (some here will know). I have owned a 1970 35 HP Chrysler since 1984 and cleaning the points is all it has ever needed (when the performance dropped). My sys is attacked. I basically never remove the points vs check for the .020 gap after cleaning with fine Emory and lent free etc.

If you do have a mag sys and need to pull the flywheel there is help. A search on harmonic balance puller in this site should get you there or help will be here.

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 3

billiardking

Cadet

Thanks wickware
I will pull flywheel and hopefully get points cleaned and regapped if nessasary , and hope that gets a hotter spark going to my bottom plug

Thanks again for info and pic

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Chad, did you verify or know you do have a Magneto Ignition Sys (with points under the fly wheel vs in a distributor)? Point?s gap will be different in a distributor.

2. I remember you mentioning coils. I am wondering if you are seeing them as Auto looking coils w/o pulling the flywheel (to see the lawnmower looking coils)?

3. Can you post 4 "close" Pics of the motor with the cover off and one full side view of the complete motor? A quick glance in my Clymer Manual is showing 1980 vs your 1979 vs a model # was not a magneto sys only.

billiardking

Cadet

I have not pulled flywheel yet should be tomorrow evening when I can pull it
I know there are two black coils mounted horizontal on port side of engine they are maybe 2 inch round and I would guess 4 inch long
I have pics on my phone and ill have to see if I can get to a computer to post them
Not sure on distributor vs mag sys
I know plug wires are coming off each coil basically one coil per plug
???
I figured points are sending voltage to coil with the right timing and then coil is send voltage to plug ????

Ill try and post pics ASAP

Thanks for the help
Chad

wickware

Lieutenant

1. From what I am seeing you might have a ?Battery Ignition? (with an alternator) since you can see the coils.

2. You might switch coils to see if the good fire will switch. Someone might know of an easy test to know the coil is bad (as ohm values) vs bad points. From 5 yrs of sitting I will lean toward points need cleaning.

3. As I have read, if the points are under the flywheel they are set at .020. In a dist, they are set .010 -.014 (with .014 setting on 3 cyl engines and .010 on 4 cyl engines). I hope some personal experience will jump in here since my 1970 35 HP is my only experience (2 cyls). HELP!!

4. The points must be accurately set or they will throw the engine?s timing off. This is why I would only rub fine emery and lent free Etc to dress/clean without removing. Burned or pitted this would require removing as I have changed too many on Autos and Lawnmowers.

PS. I hope you will be on the water soon as I normally would have.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep it simple here, once you pull the flywheel you will likely see 2 sets of points, and 2 condensers. You say you have two black coils, this is electronic ignition. Clean and re-gap the points, then replace the condensers (silver can looking things). I would say that 99.999999% of no spark on these is the condensers. The local NAPA auto parts store has them part # FM200 If you have no Condensers, just clean and re-gap points to .020

billiardking

Cadet

keeping it simple is always my course of action if possible

here are some pics of motor and one of the plugs I pulled after running on lake for about 20 minutes

the clean plug was in bottom cylinder and i dont beleive was firing at all

I found my harmonic balancer puller and plan to try and remove flywheel tomorrow night
any tips would be great if theres any trick to this but looks pretty straight forward .

Also i forgot to mention the choke does not work I was told that when key is pressed in it should choke but does not seem to be working but choke is not my concern getting both cylinders firing is main course of action ..

PICS

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 2
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 2
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1

billiardking

Cadet

plugs PIC

Attachments

• pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1

wickware

Lieutenant

1. I d/n see a distributor, which means your points should be under the flywheel and set at .020.

2. Do you see the model and serial # to cross ref it being a 1979 (maybe at the back below the carb??
My quick ID and info from Clymer is off.

3. Put some penetrating oil on tonight between the crank and flywheel (which I might see you have).

4. Jump 12V across the choke solenoid to see if it is a lack of voltage from the switch.

billiardking

Cadet

ID Tag

Attachments

• ID Tag 1979 Engine.jpg
    ID Tag 1979 Engine.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2

billiardking

Cadet

Thanks for the info on choke I'll try that and also I will try and get some penitrating oil on crank bolt

Thanks again for the great info

Chad

wickware

Lieutenant

My Clymer Manual shows 80 ft Lbs of torque needed on the flywheel nut. Will someone verify that as being correct or not.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes 80ftlbs is correct. and NEVER grease the shaft when re installing. It is tempting, but it will cause sheared woodruff keys.
Like Wick said, you will have two sets of points on your ignition setup. Clean and re gap, I bet this will clear up the no spark issue.

wickware

Lieutenant

Add penetrating oil between crank and flywheel vs on nut. I have read if the flywheel resistance is bad enough, leave the wheel with good puller pressure on it (for hours). Plus, a blanket Etc over it to prevent a flying wheel, even when you hit the top of the puller?s bolt (with a Medium hammer to help shock it). I have never personally seen this but I can believe age, salt weather and moisture exposure could be contributors. Stripping and having to resize the puller?s bolts and holds are common on a Monster (not too deep past the thickness of fly with taps/bolts, there are parts under the fly). Your motor looked well kept and clean to have these issues IMO.

Thanks for the pic of the ID info (and all the good Pics). Hopefully someone can verify if this is a 1979 or a transitional year or if my Clymer manual is off vs me (my chart is deep somewhere, LOL!). Most of all, I feel others will gain from these exchanges of info ?With Cautions?.

Thanks tater76 for Jumping In!

Attachments

• Chrysler 45 HP.jpg
    Chrysler 45 HP.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0

billiardking

Cadet

OK Quick update and new problem
Got flywheel off and cleaned and regapped points and now have great spark on both plugs,
took boat to lake for test ride and now I have power but having a fuel issue now Im Assumeing
will come out of hole good and plane out with good power for 5-10 seconds then bogs and dies if you dont play with throttle mainly backing it off and fluffing it a little ..
I'm going now to get fuel diafram and gasket and also may disassemble carb again and reconfirm its clean and clear would be a high speed jet , motor seems to somewhat drive consistant and a very low rpm just above idle but once you go any higher will start to surg and or bog down and out

from idle if you throttle up to WOT boat will bite and take off plane out and run great for 5-10 seconds then either surg a litte then bog and die out .

What is float hieght setting ??? did seem like there was much to set ???
anything I can check or confirm there

and yes my tank vent is open :)

Thanks again for all the help
I will add that I am a memeber to several forum online and this forum has been over and above great with help and info
alot of forum are very clicky and not forth coming for info
I just wanted to say again I really appreciate the Info and help guy s

Thanks
Chad

Nordin

Commander

That is a battery ign.system and the year is 1979. Set points to 020 and timing 30dgr BTC at WOT #1 (top) cyl..
Change fuelpumpdiaphragma and set floatlevel parallel with casting, having the carb upsidedown.
Start with this and reply with info.

Status
Not open for further replies.