7.5 Tecumseh Game Fisher only starts/runs full throttle

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice
Hi! long time viewer, first time poster having finally registered. Yes (sorry) another gamefisher post. I've searched this site, googled my butt off, and YouTubed for info. I've sourced similar issues but either they're just not the same Issue entirely or no resolution was posted. So here it goes.......

I got this motor last year with the boat/trailer/trolling motor combo off of Craigslist. From my research it's a 1980 Tecumseh "Eska." I was informed upon purchase it needed an impeller. I never got it running last year but was still pleased with the price I payed for everything. I want gas power this year! With always having spark I figured I give this thing another try before sourcing a replacement. I had a brilliant redneck idea for an electric start that worked, which can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3GlPgub53s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So now knowing this puppy actually runs I tore into it again. I found the orange water pump element in the carb was torn along with crud on the screen which I sourced back to a deteriorating fuel hose. With these new developments I ordered the pump element and impeller kit. Parts arrived and after fighting like a MF to reinstall the driveshaft I got it all seated up today. I did the complete impeller kit, fuel pump element, and replaced the gear lube. I cleaned the carb completely and thoroughly.

It's doing the same exact thing as before, it will ONLY start in gear full throttle. It has a fresh plug and I'm running 50:1 ethanol free pre-mix in a can. It pops and farts in neutral but just won't start and idle. The top mount stock tank is a rusty POS. I have a remote tank with a bulb primer which I've tried elevating with no resolve. When she does start there is no throttle control, meaning once I throttle down to drop RPMs she stalls.

**Here's the kicker! When I remove the fuel tank line from the connection she will run FANTASTIC......till the carb bowl runs dry, obviously. Soon as I pull the line I can throttle up and down up and down even being able to pop it into neutral to hear her idle.

I'm boggled and so are my buddies. Please help!!! This is my 2nd 2 stroke after my saw which I got only last year. This is my first outboard. I am however well versed in engine and vehicle mechanics.

Thank you,
Leon

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 7.5 Tecumseh Game Fisher only starts/runs full throttle

Did you take the carb apart and clean it properly? Then put it back together with new gaskets, needle and seat?

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

I cleaned it completely and thoroughly as I've cleaned any other carb. I Replaced what I could for gaskets by cutting my own. I did not replace anything else, needle or seat.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

Does it sound like a carb related needle/seat/float issue? I've never heard of a motor running better when disconnecting the fuel source.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

Oh and in case anyone asks, yes the tank is vented. Not only vented but I been making attempts with the tank cap completely removed.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Wonder if it has a screen in the tank, or a petcock that's gunked up? Also, if you saw welch plugs in the carb, and you didn't punch them out, you may still have gunk in the really small passages under them. You might also check these guys out;

eskaoutboards : Eska Outboards Group

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

The screen in the carb was junked up with deteriorated fuel hose, which I cleaned. I'll have to check if there's a screen on the pick up in the tank. The petcock was all junked up as well. So instead of cleaning it I simply cut back new fuel line and plugged the end not in use. I did spy a welsch plug. I'll have to pop it off to see what's behind it. Funny, I had a similar'ish issue with my chainsaw. Upon disassembling the carb on it I discovered one of the 2 welsch plugs came undone. I popped it back on and problem solved. Good ideas to try, thank you. I'll now tap that link and see what it's all about.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

I had a buddy tell me he had similar issues. He said he ran seafoam through a tank and everything cleared up. I picked some up along with some oil to mix a fresh full tank to add the seafoam to.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

Well not as much help here as I anticipated but thank you to those that participated. I'm fairly certain I solved the issue this evening. First off, I've been running the wrong spark plug. I only got new what was already in there when I got the motor with absolutely no thought that it was the wrong damn plug! SMH!!! She ran extremely well after that to say the least....but still not proper at all. Although I said my gas cap is vented, I suppose I should have mentioned that I wasn't running it at all. Upon inspecting my gas cap vent I see it's just a pinhole. I been starting her without the cap to (unknowingly in my head making theoretical sense) provide excellent ventilation. In seeing the pinhole I then theoretically decided although needing to vent, it also needs back pressure. I screwed on the cap and BOOM! Perfection!*

It's always the simple crap for me that's holds me down!

I now have to part with my DeWalt starter and re-install the pull cord. Fingers crossed that she performs the same. In excitement I ran right out to mix more fuel, I was running low. It's 8:45 pm here and dark. Ima leave it at that and call it a night with success to fall asleep with.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

Carb kit installed, carb rebuilt. Seems the thing was completely and totally missing the seat needle. But much to my dismay, she's still exhibiting the same issue only worse....fuel just absolutely spewing from the weep holes. Sigh! Help anyone???*

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

After watching some YouTube videos I learn that the seat needle is suppose to be affixed to the float. Not having a blueprint to follow when reassembling due to the original being MIA, and no prior 2 stroke carb experience, I did not know this. Hopefully this solves the issue.....stay tuned.*

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Be sure to point the open end of the needle clip toward the choke end, not the engine end, and set the float with the carb upside down, so there's an 11/64" gap between float and carb body. PM me, and I'll email ya some specs w/pics.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

That'd be fantastic!!! Thank you!

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

To the left is motor side, right is choke side. I assume you know what you're looking at, needle clip facing properly? Although I don't understand the significance for a directional clip.

7CAFDED9-34BE-4734-A8A6-A2C29F0E3143-4168-000001A19AE42763_zpse56f746e.jpg

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

As I said in a previous post I have no 2 stroke experience till now. "bhile" you nailed it right from the start! MhatyMhat, man, you came through in the clutch! Thank you both!!! Staring at this carb on my coffee table while I sip some coffee, I'm feeling pretty good about what's to come when I put it back together In the next hour or so. On another note, if anyone ever needs the carb/motor gasket, I traced the new one to use as a template for future reference. I scanned it and saved it on my PC and can email it no problem :) now I wish I had done the same thing with the gasket behind the fuel inlet plate where the screen is, oh well.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

OFFTOPIC: Is there suppose to be a gasket where the bottom end gear housing unit mates with the shaft? I looked at diagrams via the sears website and couldn't see one, did I miss something? Now submerged in a 55 gal. drum of water, previous dry starts left some gear lube seeping from this location. It has me concerned that if fluid is coming out, water could be getting in which would obviously lead to gear wear and probable damage.

Assuming she starts today and runs great, I will pull the motor from the drum and check the gear lube for moisture.

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

Now it's not getting fuel opposed to flooding like before....Ugh!!! Float adjustment??? Where in maine you at mhaty? Come help, lol!!!

X80057X

Seaman Apprentice

What if I removed the needle again and fab an inline restrictor valve!? Think that'd work? It was running a lot better when it was flooding, that's for sure! Dammit!