mercruiser 3.0 IO OB will not start after de-winterizing

DPForumDog

Cadet
We bought a pontoon boat in Dec 2012. It didn't exactly crank fine. (you kinda had to move the handle back and forth few times to get it to start.... and then it would not idle. Once you throttled up it would run fine. We took it for a ride in Dec. Then with the winter setting in we winterized it. Yesterday we wanted to go for a boat ride. Before we hauled it to the boat ramp my husband tried to start it in the yard (with the help of the hose pipe), The starter would turn the engine over but it would not start. My husband "thinks" its a fuel delivery problem.

This is a 2002 model. The engine was rebuilt in 2010.

My friend said that you have to drain all the fuel out before you winterize the boat. But the directions my husband followed said that you could leave the fuel in but no more than 2/3 full.

Could this be why our boat will not start?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

DP

Mercruiser 3.0 Liter inboard outboard

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 3.0 IO OB will not crank after de-winterizing

Re: mercruiser 3.0 IO OB will not crank after de-winterizing

Crank or run?

Crank usually means the engine is being turned by the starter, but not running. Running, well, it runs without the starter.

DPForumDog

Cadet
Re: mercruiser 3.0 IOB will not crank after de-winterizing

thanks, I went and edited the original post to clarify.

The engine would turn over but not start. It would attempt to start. It would almost start.

When we tried to start it in Dec. you had to push the throttle handle back and forth. (forward and back to neutral) That's what we saw the original owner do when we bought it. But that didn't work yesterday

I hope that clarifies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thanks, I went and edited the original post to clarify.

The engine would turn over but not start. It would attempt to start. It would almost start.

When we tried to start it in Dec. you had to push the throttle handle back and forth. (forward and back to neutral) That's what we saw the original owner do when we bought it. But that didn't work yesterday

I hope that clarifies.

That's how you start carbed engines. After long periods of storage you may have to pump the throttle while cranking. And keep it up to 1/4 or 1/2 throttle to get started.
Do you know how to use the throttle only button on the throttle handle?

DPForumDog

Cadet
Re: mercruiser 3.0 IO OB will not start after de-winterizing

Wow, I asked my husband if he knew about the "throttle only button on the throttle handle" and a light bulb went off in his head. Obviously he didn't He said .....awhhh that would let you add throttle without engaging the transmission and then he went to the manual and found what you were talking about. He thinks that's probably it..... I'll let you know next weekend.

Funny, the original owner showed us how to do everything and he never mentioned the "throttle only button" and we don't remember him using it. We do remember him pushing the throttle back and forth over and over. I wonder if he knew about the throttle only button on the throttle handle? We actually got in going and took a ride in December without using the throttle only button. I wonder if the original owner got by without ever using it....hmmm.

Do you just use the throttle only button after long term storage? If so that would explain why the original owner may have never used it.

Thanks so much.... I'll let you know next weekend.
DP

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you just use the throttle only button after long term storage? If so that would explain why the original owner may have never used it.

Thanks so much.... I'll let you know next weekend.
DP

You use it anytime you want the engine to run out of gear, without the prop spinning.
Like when servicing the engine on muffs in the driveway, etc. or during a warmup at the boat ramp before getting under way.

DPForumDog

Cadet

Thanks ever so much tinkerguy. Using the "throttle only button" did the trick.
Blessings
DP