Flooding at carb

B_Well4200

Recruit
Hey guys, I am new to the forums so please excuse me if I posted in the wrong area. I am new to boat motors so bare with me. I got a 1966 merc 110 9.8hp about a week ago and have been working on getting it running. When I first got it the motor would crank for about 3-5 seconds and then flood so I removed the carb and cleaned it. After that it would crank and idle fully choked. It would barely putt along in foward but when I pumped the bulb it would pick up speed. So it was starving for gas. My fuel cap was vented and fuel line clear. So I checked on the fuel pump and the diaphram was tore. I replaced the diapham and tried starting it up. Then it was flooding again. So I cleaned the carb again and checked on the float. The float was floating and the adjustments looked good to me (remember I am new at this). Reassembled and the motor and it started up with no flooding. I adjusted to idle screw and let it run awhile but I had it in a test tub. I let it sit for about 3-4 days and took on the water today to see what it would do and its flooding again!!! I guess I am going to clean the carb again and maybe get some new fuel to try. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Flooding at carb

Turn the carb upside down and see if you can blow into the fuel inlet, if you can you have a bad needle or seat (that closes off the fuel). If turning it upside down works try adjusting the float lever so it closes just a bit earlier.
PS i wont bare with you as ive a girlfriend but bear with you no problems!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Yes I would change all the fuel lines before doing anything else. They maybe coming apart inside and clogging up your carb. Secondly make sure you are using new gas (fuel mixture) which should be 50:1 gas to oil. The fact that you are having your problems associated around fuel delivery is the reason for new fuel lines, and while you're at it change the primer bulb too if you haven't already...

And welcome to iboats...good to have you aboard...

B_Well4200

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I already put new fuel lines and a primer bulb on. I mixed a 50:1 ratio but I used regular gas instead of ethonal free. I will definitely check the fuel inlet valve. And thanks for not "bare" with me....they need spell check on here :)

B_Well4200

Recruit

Hey, I just wanted to update you guys on my progress. I checked the fuel inlet valve and it was working properly so I adjusted the float to close off sooner. I swapped the old gas for new ethonal free gas and I cleaned the carb (again). I took it out and it ran good with with no more flooding. Thank you guys for your help and hopefully that got it for a while.