Bombardier Seadoo XP Help

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm helping my friend to get a used seadoo. It is very new to me so I got a few questions. We have been looking at Bombardier Seadoo XP a few of them. What should I look at when buying. Is there a common issues? What maintenance should be done to them? Also, any rot issues on seadoo's or it is all composite material?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Bombardier Seadoo XP Help

I don't know a whole lot about them,but I do know that if they are run in sand,or dirty shallow areas,the drive impellers and housings get wore out.They can be repaired,not shure on cost though. Check em out really well,bring a flashlight,hard to see in them small engine rooms,listen to it run,even better try em out! Check the mfg specs like speed,rpm's ext....if the rpm's are up and speed is low,good indacation of a worn drive.
Grub

Last edited:

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

compression test a great motor is 150 150 each hole still runable is 125 125 each hole have them take it to the lake and either let you ride it or show you that it runs (i dont let people ride them because i sell alot and wont dont want to be liable) check the impeller to wear ring if you see more then about 20 thousands about the size of a bizz. card folded in half its got some wear and will need to be looked at soon also ask for service when was the last time the jet pump has been serviced oil changed in it yes there is oil in it and it does leak out and will take your pump out a 200 or more fixfinding a good used pump also on the 787 and the 951 have to be careful of the ballancer shafts they sometimes run low or out of oil and blow the cases hope some of these tips will help you find the ski you are looking for

lasso

Seaman Apprentice

I've got several SeaDoo's. The biggest thing I have noticed is keep them out of the sand and gravel, it will eat the wear rings and impellers. Haven't had very much trouble with mine at all. Dont let gas set for a very long time in the carbs either. Try and stay away from ethanol laced fuel.

thesignguy

Seaman

Check to see if it has gray fuel lines, I just went through this with our 95 SEADOO.

Basically the gray fuel lines break down and clogs the carb causing a lean condition. The seadoo we bought had these gray lines on it, I'm fairly mechanically inclined so it's not that big of a deal but MUST be done if you intend to keep the ski. In all it took me about 2 hours and $50 worth of fuel line, clamps and cleaner from the local parts store.

Check for nicks and chunks on the impeller, that could indicate that a wear ring or impeller needs to be replaced.

Get on your knees and look under the ski for hull damage, especially for nicks, scrapes or chunks missing. A guy saying the ski was perfect when I looked under by the intake grate had a huge chunk out of the gel-coat.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check for nicks and chunks on the impeller, that could indicate that a wear ring or impeller needs to be replaced.

Does anyone has a picture of a good and bad impeller? Just not sure what am I should be looking at...

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

check the impeller to wear ring if you see more then about 20 thousands about the size of a bizz. card folded in half its got some wear and will need to be looked at soon

I'm sorry...What do you mean?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

What would be the price to replace an impeller? Also what would be the cost to service a jet pump? Or they both mean the same thing?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have for sale a 1997 bombardier XP seadoo.

it has many new parts
rebuilt motor
new startrer
plug and wires
battery
flywheel
cleaned carb
new valves
wear ring
rotary valve plate

machine is good to go!!!!! lots of fun

Thats what ad says. Would that be normal to replace all those parts?

lasso

Seaman Apprentice

Doing it your self, wear rings usually run about $40 maybe a little more or less. Impellers can get expensive, depending on what you've got in mind, if yours is not to bad it may can be re-conditioned. Mine at a local shop was $50 apiece to clean and polish edges. As for what is listed in the ad about the motor, ask to see receipts or where the work was done and give them a call, they may have a file on it. The best advice is get the manual and familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the ski. A little TLC and they are really not that bad to work on.

skidooseadoo83

Seaman Apprentice

Everyone has good input so far, i would also ask if the magneto was changed out with all that work.... would have been smart to do. Hit on some things others have said, i owned a 95 XP, 787, ask when the last time the pump stator hub oil was changed. If you look up through the intake you can see the impeller... its not as easy as people make it sound to just "look" at an impeller. You have to remove the rear section of the pump or the intake grate to really get a good look at it, and damage wont always present itself on the leading edge (the part you can see through the intake.) With my XP most of the problems i had were related to things the add says are new, battery, plug wires, starter, OHHH! Yeah, does it have adjustable trim? And does it work? When i bought mine unknown to me was that the seals on the VTS (forget what it stand for, auto trim) that go through the transom had rotted out, and were allowing water to enter and fill the VTS motor housing shorting it out. Out of water it would run fine, put it in the water and it would pop the fuse on the, uh, what was it called, main brain box, MPEM maybe (its been a while) Didnt figure out what was going on until i had already over fused it to find the hot wires and burned up my MPEM ($300) Anyways, make sure the VTS works if it has one and make sure you try it out in water.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you, I will report if I get anymore questions after...

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any updates? thats probably the best hull (X4) seadoo ever made. it was used in several product lines. i can't remember his name, but there used to be a guy over on pwctoday.com who sold a kit to seal the trim thru hull fitting. it would at least keep water out of the VTS housing. he will also rent specialty tools to work on your hull. download the shop manual. its pretty good. i used it extensively when i had my 97 xp. if you are really into fixing the VTS his site had a good trouble shooting section as well. also, iirc, the motor can no longer be purchased (mine was rusted solid), however, a direct replacement was something like a late 90's nissan passenger door motor which were pretty cheap on ebay. i never got around to replacing it, but it would have been a cheap fix.