Johnson Starter HELP

mercmafia

Cadet
I just took in a 1985 Chris Craft to my fleet and it has a 140 Johnson on the back. I went to start it and the starter was just spinning and not engaging to the flywheel. So I ordered a new starter and replaced it. Then once that was on, it was doing the same problem, so I found a new solenoid that I had laying around from another boat, and thought that might be it and once again, same issue. It has a new battery but any ideas to what can be making it not want to move up and engage the flywheel?

Re: Johnson Starter HELP

low voltage at the starter.....if it doesnt snap when you turn the key then you proberly have a dirty cable. remove and clean all the ends till they are shinny especially the ground on the motor block then try again

gm280

Supreme Mariner

It is turning the correct dirrection isn't it? If for some reason it is wired backwards, it will turn but never ingage...Just an idea to look for...

mercmafia

Cadet

Which cable? The battery cable? I plan on redoing the battery cable situation considering the previous owner had 4+ positive connections on one battery post. lol

check and clean all cables and connectors that the starter uses. if you have a dvm then put one probe on the starter positive and one on the engine block and with some one cranking you should get 10.5v i bet you will find less than 6v