86 johnson 140 issue

mrnmrskyle

Seaman
okay, well took my 19ft gulfline center console out for the first time today.. besides the initial start that took about 4 tries (maybe i hadn't pumped the ball enough to start with). well, taking off it is VERY VERY slow.... and eventually will top out at about 26 miles an hour. (gps) it had a little sputter to it at first but was figuring that was from the first time being on the water in over a year. (though i just had new water pump, plugs and lower unit oil installed at marina).... my question is what could it be making it take off SOOOOO slow.

my thoughts...

1) throttle issue, i can move the "shifter" a LONG ways before it starts to accelerate.... maybe it's adjusted wrong so that it is not getting full throttle.

2) prop maybe, i don't know the type of prop that is on it. (i'd assume it's original, but who knows, does not have a lot of pitch the to blades, atleast from just looking at it.)

3) carb issue??

i don't know, maybe the boat just weighs that much... it's a 25" shaft... just looking for ideas here... thought it was never going to get up to speed, and never REALLY plained out to what I would think it should.

Rapio

Seaman
Re: 86 johnson 140 issue

Consider how old your gasoline is and if the boat was stored for some time, was the appropriate gas additive added to the fuel tank. If not you may need fresh fuel and carb cleaning. Maybe just fresh fuel will work. Hard to tell from the "shore".

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

I actually drained and put all new fuel. 23 gallons of 93 octane. I just checked the jets thinking maybe something was clogged... There are 4 20's 2 16's and 2 28's sizes. (Of course my bad eyes thought they were 4 20's so now got to figure out where they go!! Oops!) one had a lil something in it, the others looks perfectly fine, I blew threw the questionable one and its perfectly fine again.

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

okay, so i'm an idiot... i took out the 8 small "jets" and didn't take out the 4 main ones that are behind the big screw things. but now i really messed up b/c i don't know which of the smaller jets goes where... i know the one that said 20 went on top... but lost otherwise... ugh...

Rapio

Seaman

I'm not a Johnson or Evenrude Tech, but have an earlier version. Here is what I would do to start and doesn't take many tools or $$$ . Take the front cover off the Carbs. Move throttle full forward. Check carb butterflies for full open. As you move throttle to full open, the timing advance lever which is spring loaded and on the same pivot point on the engine as the throttle lever (the timing lever) should move forward smoothly to advance the timing in accordance with the throttle. This action moves the mechanism under the flywheel which can get gooped up over the years and not move freely or bind up. So, if the throttle is not full open and / or the timing advance lever doesn't move smoothly, you may need some help. Also the timing may not be sycronized with the carbs. Again help needed if you aren't into do it yourself tech. stuff.

okay, well took my 19ft gulfline center console out for the first time today.. besides the initial start that took about 4 tries (maybe i hadn't pumped the ball enough to start with). well, taking off it is VERY VERY slow.... and eventually will top out at about 26 miles an hour. (gps) it had a little sputter to it at first but was figuring that was from the first time being on the water in over a year. (though i just had new water pump, plugs and lower unit oil installed at marina).... my question is what could it be making it take off SOOOOO slow.

my thoughts...

1) throttle issue, i can move the "shifter" a LONG ways before it starts to accelerate.... maybe it's adjusted wrong so that it is not getting full throttle.

2) prop maybe, i don't know the type of prop that is on it. (i'd assume it's original, but who knows, does not have a lot of pitch the to blades, atleast from just looking at it.)

3) carb issue??

i don't know, maybe the boat just weighs that much... it's a 25" shaft... just looking for ideas here... thought it was never going to get up to speed, and never REALLY plained out to what I would think it should.

need rpm and pitch of prop to realy tell whats going on. pitch should be writen on the inside of the prop.

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

glenn... that may help... breaks down which engine they are for! i was looking at the diagrams on ********** which doesn't tell you that stuff!

rapio.... i will check that stuff, my voltage regulator is bad... (new one will be here tommorrow...) so i don't know how much of an issue that would cause running... (marina said none, just no charging) i don't mind anything do it yourself... I am a 100% Mazda and ASE Technician and probably have $50,000 in tools, it's just a hole different game here, but sort of the same theory.... the butterflies do look like they are fully open. i will peek more at that timing lever and see what I can come up with... I bought the boat to do a little sound/off shore fishing, just testing at the local lake to make sure things are right before I go salty!

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

glenn... right now I can't give RPM till the voltage regulator comes in tommorrow. (have no charging or tach signal... was told voltage regulator by marina)... and i looked all over that prop for a number... i was planning on replacing it, but can't find the damn numbers... maybe i'll run back out with a flashlight and look again! lol

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

any clue where it would be stamped? i will say I really don't think it was running as high of an rpm as it should have been... sounded low rpms.

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

maybe why i have not seen it yet... i will probably have to bring home some larger sockets to get it off with... is there a specific torgue to tighten it to?

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

okay... so i took the prop off (in the dark lol) it is a 384139 OE johnson prop which is a 13 3/8" by 17 pitch
"

Rapio

Seaman

I wouldn't worry about the prop until you have the engine running properly and RPM indication. If it all works great and the RPM is a bit low at full throttle on the water and every thing is tuned up, then the prop maybe a bit too coarse. That may get you out of the hole a little slower. and not sure about top speed, it could increase with a slightly coarse prop. I'm sure there is a prop nut torque, but comfortably Mazda tech tight will do to pick up cotter pin hole and maybe not back off to align it. Lots of luck

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

lol, thanks man... it's a big difference from a car to a boat... heck even between vehicle manufacturers it's an insane difference! by coarse you mean more pitch? i was going to do a 13 1/5" x 21 pitch prop... from the ones this site offers there are a TON of 21 pitch, so assuming that may be a popular size. my dad fished bass master classics for YEARS and had an 18ft skeeter with a 300 on the back... would run 96mph on the water... he test rode with me today... but he's not much help... he's retired but his job paid enough for him to "roll w/ the big dogs!" i would like to gain a little more speed, but figure if i can plain out that'll be the ticket...

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

oh yeah, once my part comes in tommorrow there is a "lake" a mile away... but its way too small to even think about driving in... but enough i can back in and start up (so it will not be on the hose) i'm sure it's okay to rev up in neutral in the water, but what about in gear?

from the numbers it sounds like your motor is not running at 5000 rpm. we will just have to see when you get the tach working

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

I don't think I have a major issue... Besides me being dumb and not pumping the ball enough once it started I can tap the key and she's purring. So atleast running wise I have! Lol.... I'm hoping its not a stator issue.... Seeing as its a costly part. It'll probably be next Saturday before I can re test since I don't live that close to the water.... But I may have to go for a ride after work! Defiantly going to start on hose or on trailer backed in lake to make sure tach is reading.

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

Okay... Update... Installed new regulator... Took out today, got to 31mph and ran pretty good. But wot 4500 rpm was all I could get. The tach worked great but at last minute it was going in and out... I have this weird feeling the auto timing thing isn't working... Is it supposed to spring or move freely? It only moves like 1/4 inch tops while running. My idle speed was a little sparatic.... Ideas people??

Okay... Update... Installed new regulator... Took out today, got to 31mph and ran pretty good. But wot 4500 rpm was all I could get. The tach worked great but at last minute it was going in and out... I have this weird feeling the auto timing thing isn't working... Is it supposed to spring or move freely? It only moves like 1/4 inch tops while running. My idle speed was a little sparatic.... Ideas people??

take another look at post #6 the timing is meant to move smoothly. you need to see if the carb butteflys are opening fully as it may be as simple as the controller at the helm has a loose screw inside thats not allowing the cable to move fully or it maybe the cable does move but things are gunked up or out of sync.