How do I clean a canvas travel cover?

bluewaterboater

Seaman Apprentice
I have a blue travel cover on my Sea Ray 190, its 2 pieces because my boat is a bow rider. The back part where it often lays on the sunpad is dirty and somewhat mouldy. Any suggestions on how to clean it? Someone told me to put it in our front loader washer with a little bit of dish soap?? Any experience doing this?

I bought some 303 last week to waterproof it but I want to clean it well before I apply it.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do I clean a canvas travel cover?

I used simple green and a big long brush on mine with some elbow grease scrub ,rinse ,scrub,rinse several times untill you see it come back to life ..Then a xtra time for good measure id think itd be easiest to do it while still on the boat !!!

bluewaterboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How do I clean a canvas travel cover?

Do NOT put it in the washing machine. Mix equal parts of dish washing liquid and Borax into a gallon of warm water and using a sponge completely wet the canvas and let it sit to let the cleaning solution soak in and do it's work. Rinse thoroughly, if there are stubborn spots reapply more cleaning solution and scrub with a SOFT brush. Repeat as needed. Once clean you will need to retreat the canvas with a protectant / water repellent.

I will suggest you install the canvas on the boat during drying because it will tend to shrink and could be a bear to install if you let it dry without being stretched.

thanks for the info. Can you suggest how much soap and how much Borax per gallon of water? Thanks!