Which control box?

Levitus

Recruit
I have a older aluminum boat I wish to repower. It currently has a 1962 evinrude 2 stroke. I have the opportunity to acquire a new 2011 Mercury 40hp ELPT. Which side mount control box would be appropriate? Thanks in advance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which control box?

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: great to have you aboard...

How are you buying the motor without the controls...ant cables...and wiring harness...and such? You better be getting it realllllll cheap...

I'd research your year's motor and purchase one for that model. It probably won't be cheap but it would work perfectly with your motor. There are probably others you could make work as well, but that would depend on your abilities... JMHO!

Levitus

Recruit

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: great to have you aboard...

How are you buying the motor without the controls...ant cables...and wiring harness...and such? You better be getting it realllllll cheap...

I'd research your year's motor and purchase one for that model. It probably won't be cheap but it would work perfectly with your motor. There are probably others you could make work as well, but that would depend on your abilities... JMHO!

New from dealer. But they are trying to sell me a $500 gear box, $150 prop, $120 for 2cables and I want to verify if these are fair prices.

Levitus

Recruit

I have checked with other dealers and they all say they can't match the price on the motor. And thanks for the welcome.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

For a side mount iboats sells a Quicksilver Commander 2000 for a little over $250. I bought one a couple of years ago and love it.....have several over the years on different boats. It is surface mount to the side of the boat and the fast idle lever is easily accessed. Cables will run down the side of your boat. It comes with it's own plug in cable. All you need is to have the right mating connector on the engine end of the electrical cable and Mr. gm280 is looking that up for you. If not, iboats asks what engine it is for when you buy it.

They sell control cables too to operate throttle and shift. I didn't need cables when I bought my box. When you get your box and engine mounted, the cable length needs to be sufficient for the engine to move back and forth side to side and do it in the fully tilted up position also. You need a nice smooth sweep out from the engine and back to the boat so that you don't kink the cables on either end. So the correct cable will be 3 feet more or less in addition to the distance from the center of the transom mount to the center point of the control.

They sell props on here too.

Tell you what. Shop here first and then see if you need anything from your dealer. His overhead seems to be a bit high.

HTH,
Mark