empeller design

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi everyone
newly got this 1980 evinrude 8 HP

checking on empeller, foud empeller sitting on shaft differntly from what i know from my bigger mariner 75 hp year 1993 2 strokes. Instead of having that small pience of metal inside i found the empeller sitting on a larger hexagonal shape design.

i think from picture you will better understand me.

תמונה0749.jpgתמונה0750.jpg

question is: is that something common? is that found more with small engines?

second question: when returning engine lower part find it hard to reach the end of it. i can still connect the upper part to the lower by tightening the screws but probably this will cause damage. any tips?
thanks in advance

cr2k

Captain
Re: empeller design

Impellers in some smaller engines are like that. Some have a hard plastic center or as yours a brass insert.

Not sure what problem you are having re-installing the lower. You need to align the splines with those in the powerhead and the water tube into the water pump. If it is that hard you might be doing damage if you force it. Make sure you use spline grease on the top end of the vertical drive shaft. There may be an O-Ring that came off the top end of the Vert Drive shaft and is sitting cocked in the powerhead. Check it with a flashlight and use a grabber to remove it and place back on the drive shaft. If you don' have a groove in the top end of the shaft you don't need an o-ring. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hint with lower in forward gear slightly turn the prop CCW to align the splines.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Impellers in some smaller engines are like that. Some have a hard plastic center or as yours a brass insert.

Not sure what problem you are having re-installing the lower. You need to align the splines with those in the powerhead and the water tube into the water pump. If it is that hard you might be doing damage if you force it. Make sure you use spline grease on the top end of the vertical drive shaft. There may be an O-Ring that came off the top end of the Vert Drive shaft and is sitting cocked in the powerhead. Check it with a flashlight and use a grabber to remove it and place back on the drive shaft. If you don' have a groove in the top end of the shaft you don't need an o-ring. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hint with lower in forward gear slightly turn the prop CCW to align the splines.

many thanks for the help and explanation.

will try it again as you recommended and update you with the news...
sameh

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

many thanks for the help and explanation.

will try it again as you recommended and update you with the news...
sameh

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
i changed impeler in 8hp johnson, last weak
i'm sure this hexagonal piece is left over from real impeler, ruber part just fall out frhis hexagonal piece
under this piece is a key holding on place
order new impeler and instal in proper way

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Instead of having that small pience of metal inside i found the empeller sitting on a larger hexagonal shape design.
Uhh.... that hexagonthingy is the drive hub from the old impeller, it comes off the shaft also.
when returning engine lower part find it hard to reach the end of it. i can still connect the upper part to the lower by tightening the screws but probably this will cause damage. any tips?
Stand it (motor) on its head and you can install lower unit quicker...
Never seen a 2 piece impeller design used on a outboard unless it was used on a antique motor..

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi.
i changed impeler in 8hp johnson, last weak
i'm sure this hexagonal piece is left over from real impeler, ruber part just fall out frhis hexagonal piece
under this piece is a key holding on place
order new impeler and instal in proper way

wow, that changes everything. I find it strange because the hexagonal part looks a metal and cannot be removed.
you meant by "under this piece is a key holding on place" under the rubber or under the hexagonal there is a piece holding in place?

you removed the hexagonal part? what year is your motor? mine is 1980!

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uhh.... that hexagonthingy is the drive hub from the old impeller, it comes off the shaft also.

Stand it (motor) on its head and you can install lower unit quicker...

Never seen a 2 piece impeller design used on a outboard unless it was used on a antique motor..

well, mine is 1980. is it enough antique? have you seen the pictures i attached...

hope we will reach here a definite conclusion so i can know how to continue...

nwcove

Admiral

yup, the rubber part of the impeller has delaminated from its hub, you need to remove that hex piece which should be brass.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup, the rubber part of the impeller has delaminated from its hub, you need to remove that hex piece which should be brass.

o.k. many thanks. I will try it tomorrow.
by the way, when buying new impeller, should the brass be attached to the impeller and included with?

nwcove

Admiral

it will be one piece, rubber molded to hub. just be carefull not to lose the pin, as sometimes a new impeller does not come with the pin.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it will be one piece, rubber molded to hub. just be carefull not to lose the pin, as sometimes a new impeller does not come with the pin.

many thanks again
your help folks is priceless!