Starter won't turn engine (1961 Evinrude 40 HP)

Fortney

Cadet
I recently obtained a 1966 Sea Ray with a 40 HP 1961 Evinrude. The previous owner had it sitting uncovered and with no seasonal maintenance for 3 years. While flushing the fuel lines out and doing other things to get the motor running, sometime during the maintenance while turning the engine over, the starter wasn't turning the engine, after verifying that the battery was good and that I had good electrical connections, I took off the starter and noticed it smelled like smoke, I decided to replace the starter and to my surprise, it too could not turn over the engine. I popped off the spark plugs and the engine turned without a hitch, but I noticed that when the spark plugs were on, I could barely hand turn it. I sprayed some oil into the cylinders and there wasn't any immediate improvement. While researching, I noticed that it's not uncommon for engines that sit for long periods to go through this and that spraying oil in the cylinders and waiting a couple of days will often times get things turning smoothly again, however, I am horrible at waiting, and thought I should post here to see if there are other things I should look for as I wait. I should note that I'm pretty sure the engine was close to seizing as I was absent minded and ran a very light oil / fuel mixture in it and sprayed it with tons of carb cleaner while cleaning things up. Any suggestions on what I can do or check for would be greatly appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter won't turn engine (1961 Evinrude 40 HP)

Overhaul your starter electrical circuit. Both cables off (both ends) and the terminals scrubbed shiny. This should be done annually.

Fortney

Cadet
Re: Starter won't turn engine (1961 Evinrude 40 HP)

Overhaul your starter electrical circuit. Both cables off (both ends) and the terminals scrubbed shiny. This should be done annually.

Thanks for the pointer. Being a former electrician, that was one of the first things that I was inclined to do when I initially had the trouble.