how to check for rot

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the best, (or any) method for checking for rot below the floor? I have found no soft spots, or any evidence of rot in this 1966 fiberglass boat. but, all of the paint on the floor is cracked and some exposed to weather. This boat sat outside for years under a tarp. I sanded down the rear portion of the floor to the wood, and it looked OK, but how do I know the water hasn't found itw way into the stringers or below the floor. I really don't want to remove the floor if I don't have to?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: how to check for rot

You can create inspection holes by cutting a hole and covering it with an aluminum plate or an actual inspection plate. I have done this and stuck my digital camera in the hole and took pics in all directions. A mirror and flashlight can work through an inspection hole as well. Just remember to seal the plate and screws.

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason J... are you the Skanky Beast owner? living right in my back yard?

Homerr

Commander

I read that the bilge is a good place to start: pull out an engine mounting bolt (on I/O set-ups) and check for rot there. <br /><br />My project had both black and white rot.<br />The damage was so bad, that the plywood and stringers looked like leaves off a tree and had the appearance of what looked like ashes after burning wood.<br /><br />I initially thought someone had literally set a fire on the inside, but it was just the wood decay.<br /><br />I use to build Marlin Boats, and they never coated the wood in the boats. They simply stuffed the stringers in, and glassed each side with a chopper gun. There was no 'bedding' at all.<br /><br />I've learned a lot from this web site, and even a 'half-way' job using the techniques here will be far superior to most factory jobs. Do a search on 'stringers' or 'rot' or similar. you'll find a nights' reading.<br /><br />Good luck with the re-con of the wood!<br /><br />H.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Johndoe, I sure am. Where is Lynwood in relation to Spokane?

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason J,<br />Lynnwod is north of Seattle, but I get to Spokane all the time... as a matter of fact, am heading that way today! for one night... then off to Helena/Missoula then down to tri-cities...<br /><br />My job is a book, so I'll just say that I cover five states, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska... and travel about every other week... <br /><br />I love your Skanky beast project and would love to see it some time... Have a buddy in Airway heights with a new fishing boat. will be going fishing with him this summer... he is not very mechanically or electonically inclined, so he needs my help all the time...<br /><br />Maybe we can get together for a beer some time...<br />What are of Spokane are ya in?

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops. I remember from your website that you live on Fry creek... Love that area and will be buying property there some day... Lake Pend Oreille is one of my favorites!