long day cleaning the steering cable

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Steering was a bit sticky so I had to pull the cable out. but my cable nut won't clear the transom hole and the cable didn't want to come out.

Luckily I can unbolt my motor and it stays on the transom. So we (son and I) unbolted it and slid it over 6 inches giving enough clearance to pull the cable. But it was in no mood to come out. So I tapped it out with a long 3/8 extension.

Spent an hour with a bore brush from my gun cleaning kit soaked in PB Blaster. Then I wiped with patches until they came out clean.

Lubed it all up, put everything back together and now it's nice and smooth.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: long day cleaning the steering cable

Steering was a bit sticky so I had to pull the cable out. but my cable nut won't clear the transom hole and the cable didn't want to come out.

Luckily I can unbolt my motor and it stays on the transom. So we (son and I) unbolted it and slid it over 6 inches giving enough clearance to pull the cable. But it was in no mood to come out. So I tapped it out with a long 3/8 extension.

Spent an hour with a bore brush from my gun cleaning kit soaked in PB Blaster. Then I wiped with patches until they came out clean.

Lubed it all up, put everything back together and now it's nice and smooth.

So you used a barrel cleaning brass brush and not Hoppe's 9...? :lol:

I bet a 12 gauge brass brush would have worked pretty well... :cool:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your lucky the end didn't mushroom when you hit it with the extension.
What kind of grease did you use when you re-assembled?
I use a grease with white lithium.
Even a spray with white lithium.
The regular marine grease gumms up to fast.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

I said I tapped it out, not beat it out. it was still a working cable, just didn't want to come out by hand. i've learned how to tap things properly and when to stop in over 30 years of turning wrenches. Heck i was using a 13oz hammer.

As for grease I used a dry teflon. it doesn't collect dirt and doesn't wash off. I agree marine grease can gum up, but I've seen white lithium do the same.

gm280 I tried a 12 ga but it was just a bit too big. My tube is a .650 ID. As for Hoppes 9, never touch the stuff. in the service we used break free CLP. Long before Winchester started putting their name on it.