Gauge or Pee fititng for pontoon

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi folks. just picked up a pontoon with a 40 hp Force 99 model year. it starts easily and runs great.

With it mounted to a pontoon boat, obviously I can't see if water is coming out the upper exhaust outlet.

So I can see three options.

1) Pressure gauge kit, but reading old threads these motors only make between 5-10 psi water pressure and the gauges are ranged at 40-45 max. So the reading would seem to be in a very small range of the gauge. Thus little useable info.

2) A pee fitting. I had a Merc 35 on a pontoon. They put the fitting in the lower half of the engine cowl using a 45 degree fitting. It created a "rooster tail" easily visible from the helm and didn't interfere with cowl removal.

3) Never seen it but a thought, use a low pressure switch connected to a light and buzzer. Would get immediate attention.

Any thoughts, experience or other ideas?

Also there appears to be a sensor in the lower left corner of the cylinder head with a single wire. Is this a temp sender and could a gauge be connected?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Gauge or Pee fititng for pontoon

?2) A pee fitting. I had a Merc 35 on a pontoon. They put the fitting in the lower half of the engine cowl using a 45 degree fitting. It created a "rooster tail" easily visible from the helm and didn't interfere with cowl removal.?

Can you adapt a "rooster tail" to the 40 that would easily be seen?

?Also there appears to be a sensor in the lower left corner of the cylinder head with a single wire. Is this a temp sender and could a gauge be connected??

Your wiring diagram should show the color of wire that goes to the temp sensor. Grounding the wire at the sensor sets off my alarm (my horn) with the key on.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Gauge_0001A.jpgEnigine pics_0001ABC1.jpg
Another option is get a block temp gauge. This gives you a real time temp of your motor all the time as long as the key is on.

Tom

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

wickware- it depends on how strong a stream I can get. i can see the top ofr the cowl from the helm so if it goes above that it would be visible.

While working on the steering I found the warning buzzer under the console.

Sweeperforce - Like the idea of a temp gauge. Water pressure or stream really only tells part of the story. You could be moving water ans still sunning hot. How did you determine what reading was normal?

roscoe- you found a gauge that would match my current gauges pretty well i'd just need to find a really short sender.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

I asked around in here and everyone agreed on about 130?F.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

wickware- it depends on how strong a stream I can get. i can see the top ofr the cowl from the helm so if it goes above that it would be visible.

While working on the steering I found the warning buzzer under the console.

Sweeperforce - Like the idea of a temp gauge. Water pressure or stream really only tells part of the story. You could be moving water ans still sunning hot. How did you determine what reading was normal?

roscoe- you found a gauge that would match my current gauges pretty well i'd just need to find a really short sender.

??? sender?

pressure gauge is connected to plastic tubing the runs to the top of the cylinder head.
small plug needs to be removed and replaced with a 90* hose barb.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The thermo switch on the block.It should close or make the buzzer work at 160-170.
On the end of the thermostat,there is a number stammped in it.That will be the temp it opens.
To test the buzzer/sender.Key on,ground out the orange lead on the block.It should make the buzzer sound off.
You can add a light to the system.Just make sure it's a low voltage bulb.
If you have a guage?? Does it show anything when your in the water running?
If so don't worry about the poundage,as long as it's indiacating anything!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'd favor both head temperature and tale tell stream, but not so much with a pressure gauge. And the reason why not a pressure gauge is simply a water pressure gauge is just that...pressure and not flow. So it is easily possible to have water pressure and no flow. There could be any type obstruction in the water cooling system which would still show water pressure but not be flowing properly... So I’d use both a tale tell stream and a head temperature sensor... But that is just me...

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

??? sender?

pressure gauge is connected to plastic tubing the runs to the top of the cylinder head.
small plug needs to be removed and replaced with a 90* hose barb.

take a close look at the pictures of the one you linked to. It is all electric and requires a sending unit

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

take a close look at the pictures of the one you linked to. It is all electric and requires a sending unit

sorry, my mistake, I never looked at the photo of the backside.