Wiring Help Needed

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1971 Mercury 500 50 HP with Thunderbolt ignition....the remote control connector had been removed at some point and the previous owner had hardwired a Mercontrol controller to it. I want to replace it with a Quicksilver side mount (which I have purchased). I am looking for a wiring diagram for the connector of Quicksilver side mount that show s the pin function. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wiring Help Needed

Welcome aboard, skagg. The Merc control is hard wired to the boat-side cable, all the wires are soldered to the internal connectors. Which Quicksilver remote did you buy, there so many models? You may have one, two or three connectors, and maybe none.

Here is a link where you should find a wiring diagram. User ID is marshall, password is public. select "Small Engine Repair blah blah", then "Marine/Boat Motors", "Mercury" and finally find you motor in the list. Probably "Outboard 3.9-135 HP, 1964-71". You're going to see links to PDF files by title. The files are downloadable and printable. Match the colors in the diagram to the cable and the connections in the remote.

Forgot the link - oops. EBSCOhost - world's foremost premium research database service

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

The controller is a Quicksilver model Commander......it has an 8 pin connector and my motor had a 6 pin according to the manual....Trying to match up the colors as they are different with the new controller it has:

Red
Black
Yellow/Black
Yellow/Red
Black/Yellow
Gray
Purple
Tan (or light brown)

The motor has:
Red
Black
White
Yellow
Gray
Brown

Since it has to be hardwired again we're trying to match up the controller wiring to the motor wiring by function (or where it connects on the engine. Hope this makes sense

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Their several different versions of the commander.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the control wire colors are standard, and they look to be, red to red(battery), black to black(Ground). Yellow/black to grey(Choke). Yellow/red to yellow(solenoid), purple to white(12VDC Accessory), black/yellow to orange( Ign killer, likely not used on your motor), grey to brown (Tach). Tan is likely an overheat alarm, which you do not have,

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

Could the black/yellow go to salmon (not sure if salmon is same as orange).....motor starts but continues to run after switch is turned to off position.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Black/yellow is the ign killer wire. Trace the salmon wire. If it goes to the switchbox, it is the ign killer wire. Orange sometimes fades to look like salmon.