should we have her transported or bring her home on the water?

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey folks. Looking to buy a boat and cant decide whether to have it transported the two hundred and eighty five kilometers, from where it is to where it needs to be, or if my wife and I should bring the boat home on the water. The boat is currently at a marina on Lake Ontario and we would utilize the trent-severn waterway to get it to Lake Simcoe. I think the costs of either approach are similar.
The boat has no trailer, so if we were to transport it we would have to hire a hauling company. Something I am unfamiliar with. If we were to opt for the in-water method we would be travelling half-way thru waters we are unfamiliar with as far as Peterborough in a boat that is larger than we're used to and new to us.

Anybody have advice/insights/experiences they care to share.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: should we have her transported or bring her home on the water?

hey folks. Looking to buy a boat and cant decide whether to have it transported the two hundred and eighty five kilometers, from where it is to where it needs to be, or if my wife and I should bring the boat home on the water. The boat is currently at a marina on Lake Ontario and we would utilize the trent-severn waterway to get it to Lake Simcoe. I think the costs of either approach are similar.
The boat has no trailer, so if we were to transport it we would have to hire a hauling company. Something I am unfamiliar with. If we were to opt for the in-water method we would be travelling half-way thru waters we are unfamiliar with as far as Peterborough in a boat that is larger than we're used to and new to us.

Anybody have advice/insights/experiences they care to share.

I would consider hauling it. That's a long shake down cruise for the first time out with it. I don't know the size so it's hard to really give an answer. Would it be a one day trip or an overnighter. Is all the safety gear on board? there are many questions that can be asked by the little amount of info that you have given.

You don't say how much boating experience that you have, that's the most important factor.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

If it were me, I'd pilot it home. Of course, I am pretty much an idiot and I know NOTHING about your situation, but I google the Trent Severn and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Seriously, good luck with the new boat.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would consider hauling it. That's a long shake down cruise for the first time out with it. I don't know the size so it's hard to really give an answer. Would it be a one day trip or an overnighter. Is all the safety gear on board? there are many questions that can be asked by the little amount of info that you have given.

You don't say how much boating experience that you have, that's the most important factor.

Hi. the boat is 35.5 ft. We are experienced boaters, but our largest boat thus far has been a 22.5 ft. SeaRay SRV with a single engine. the 35.5 ft. boat has twin I/O's. Of course all safety gear and then some would be on board + GPS and charts.
The duration of the voyage is approximately 6 days with the limited operation of locks in the Spring.
The biggest unknown for us would be the first stretch, between Kingston and Trenton, the Bay of Quinte, Lake Ontario.
Also, have had some tell me I will learn the twin screws quickly enough, while others have said I would be biting off more then I can chew!
I guess I was kind of hoping someone with knowledge of the waters we must travel would respond and tell me that the channels are clearly marked and obstacles to navigation are few.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it were me, I'd pilot it home. Of course, I am pretty much an idiot and I know NOTHING about your situation, but I google the Trent Severn and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Seriously, good luck with the new boat.

Thanks for the well wishes Campy. We are leaning towards going for the ride!!! There is a sense of adventure to it and we would definetely be facing our fears of the unknown! And, yes, the Trent Severn Waterway is AWESOME. You should try to do it sometime. If not in a boat of your own, perhaps in a rental or on one of the cruise boats.

four winns 214

Hi. the boat is 35.5 ft. We are experienced boaters, but our largest boat thus far has been a 22.5 ft. SeaRay SRV with a single engine. the 35.5 ft. boat has twin I/O's. Of course all safety gear and then some would be on board + GPS and charts.
The duration of the voyage is approximately 6 days with the limited operation of locks in the Spring.
The biggest unknown for us would be the first stretch, between Kingston and Trenton, the Bay of Quinte, Lake Ontario.
Also, have had some tell me I will learn the twin screws quickly enough, while others have said I would be biting off more then I can chew!
I guess I was kind of hoping someone with knowledge of the waters we must travel would respond and tell me that the channels are clearly marked and obstacles to navigation are few.

It sounds to me like you're approaching this the right way. If you're confident in the boat, I'd say take it home on its own bottom. Just try not to get pressed for time and bone up on the boat and its systems before the trip. Take plenty of fenders and a good dock pole!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If we were to opt for the in-water method we would be travelling half-way thru waters we are unfamiliar with as far as Peterborough in a boat that is larger than we're used to and new to us........

Unfamiliar waters.....unfamiliar boat and any nuances.......to me that's a recipe for disaster, not adventure.
Have it brought home, put some hours on it, get familiar with all the systems including necessary spare parts and tools on board then do a 6 day adventure.

Mark

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I say take a 2 day sea trial local to the pickup point... If all goes well and you feel confident then head home... if not call the transport company.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check out marinas on the way down if going by car to get an idea of where help is available if you need it heading home.

frantically relaxing

You're buying the boat to use it. If there's water between it's old home and new home, why haul it? Best way to learn about your new toy is a nice long maiden voyage. Being experienced boaters you know you'll need to get some maps & charts, figure out your stops, check the weather forecasts and all that good stuff. A few short drives to get the hang of how she handles and some docking practice before the big journey could surely be scheduled in. Just gotta respect the boat, the water and the weather like with any other boat trip.

You may never regret having it hauled, but the memories of that first big boat ride will be with you forever.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I say take a 2 day sea trial local to the pickup point... If all goes well and you feel confident then head home... if not call the transport company.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check out marinas on the way down if going by car to get an idea of where help is available if you need it heading home.

^^^+1

6 days is a little long without knowing all of the ships systems and their current condition. Did you have a marine surveyor go over the boat top to bottom before you bought it? If you got a clean bill of health than take it for a 2 day shake down and then head home if all checks out. 35 feet is a big boat to deal with on one motor if a belt lets go, the alternator or power steering system lets go etc. not to mention having to learn all of the new systems while under way.

Whether by land or sea, congratulations and best of luck!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

No way I'd permit someone to bring my new girl home,,,, but that is me. I would give her a day or 2 and live aboard to get to know her-- then we would be going home by water. Good luck with which ever way you decide.

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfamiliar waters.....unfamiliar boat and any nuances.......to me that's a recipe for disaster, not adventure.

Lots of crazy east coasters do a one week charter in the Caribbean or Mediterranean to get their boating fix in during the winter.

I've rented a sailboat in Southwest Harbor, ME and a powerboat in Key Largo, FL for a day. The hulls were solid, but I would be ashamed to own either boat myself and my newest boat is 21 years old. The Florida rental included a chart that turned out to be a NOAA chart printed on a diner place mat that clearly said "not for navigation" on it. That was better than the Maine rental that included a letter size black and white photocopy of the islands, 5 of the 40 navigation aides in the area, and the lat/lon of the dock. (Since they get fast thick fog up there, we had brought a handheld GPS and my dad's MapTech book of the area.) Neither boat had VHF radios. (Florida has great cell phone coverage and we brought our own handheld & PLB to Maine.) Both were equipped with a somewhat aligned compass, three handheld flares, two short dock lines, and no anchor. We had a great time both times, but if possible will trailer long distances to avoid rentals now. :)

One person's recipe for disaster, may turn out to be another's adventure. If it were me, I'd plan to take it by water but would research reputable transport companies and take a 1-2 day sea trial as others have suggested.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Find a local who is experinced in twin screws,have em give ya a driving lesson.money well spent! Most can be manuvered real well in tight spots without even touching the wheel.tunnel drives not as easy but doable.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

WOW!! This sounds like a great opportunity. I would do plenty of research on the route and go for it. As smokeonethewater stated, I would also do a local 2 day sea trial to shake all the cob webs out. Bring an extra set of props too.

Is the boat on the North Shore of Ontario or do you have to cross it?

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well alright! that's what I'm talking about! THANKS for all the great responses. I think we will likely do what has been suggested re: read the charts, check marina locations, practice some docking (we will be locking thru 40 times!), get some instruction, spend a night or two on the boat, etc.. We will be realistic about it, take our time and have fun.
I don't know why, but I am leery of boat over land. They are meant to move in/on the water! I half expected guys to respond with horror stories of boat transports gone wrong. Must be watching too many Boat fails vid's on You Tube!!!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know why, but I am leery of boat over land. They are meant to move in/on the water!

?????huh?????

Ah, how do you think all those boats made at various places throughout the county get to dealers and marinas in all the rest of the country? Over water?

Nope; on land.

Mark

BonairII

Commander

A 6-day trek home with a new(to you boat)? Def not my cup of tea.

If you have motor troubles etc...you'll then be at the mercy of a marina and/or hauling company. Not to mention, you'll then have to make arrangements to get yourselves home.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

?????huh?????

Ah, how do you think all those boats made at various places throughout the county get to dealers and marinas in all the rest of the country? Over water?

Nope; on land.

Mark

I know, right. Part of my problem is the several hundred dollars at each end of the trip just to load and unload. Seems exorbitant!
I would rather put that cash in the tank and run her! However, I do appreciate your being the "voice of reason". thanks again for your responses.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 6-day trek home with a new(to you boat)? Def not my cup of tea.

If you have motor troubles etc...you'll then be at the mercy of a marina and/or hauling company. Not to mention, you'll then have to make arrangements to get yourselves home.

there are definitely some "what ifs" to consider, but they can happen with a boat you are familiar with or even a brand new boat!

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would roll the dice and take it home on the water, especially if you have a marine survey done and it comes back clean. It's a 140 mile trip. Not sure what you were quoted to transport it, but I would guess it could cover some decent repairs should you have an issue. One item I would look at though is services along the way and call to see who offers what and at what price just so your prepared. Also if your concerned about twins and handling, see if the current owner will take you out and provide pointers on maneuvering.