2.2hp Mercury won't start

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just inherited a 1985 Mercury 2.2hp, it hadn't been used in a few years, (gas was drained after last use). Bought new spark plug, (and wire) adjusted to .040. but no spark, checked points, found they weren't opening, so adjusted to .020. Rechecked for spark at plug, it was nice and bright, Then I mixed up some fresh gas and oil (50:1), tried about 20 times, but no start, but did backfire once after about the 10th pull. Water in bucket now has a bit of oil in it. Took carb apart, (it was so clean I could eat from it), Reassembled, but still won't start, minimum shop charge around here is $100 just to look at it, and they say that, may, or may include solving the problem depending on what it is, (not worth it to me). Especially since so many parts are now unavailable. Anyone have any ideas on why it still won't start?. Thank You
On a side note, as I understand motors, they need air, and every other small motor I have, lawnmower, chainsaw, etc, has an airfilter, but this motor doesn't, and doesn't even seem to have any way of getting air to the carb, as the carb cover mounts right onto the carb (where the choke is). the schematics even show this is correct, but it doesn't make sense to me, am I missing something?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2.2hp Mercury won't start

I just inherited a 1985 Mercury 2.2hp, it hadn't been used in a few years, (gas was drained after last use). Bought new spark plug, (and wire) adjusted to .040. but no spark, checked points, found they weren't opening, so adjusted to .020. I mixed up some fresh gas and oil (50:1), tried about 20 times, but no start, but did backfire once after about the 10th pull. Water in bucket now has a bit of oil in it. Took carb apart, (it was so clean I could eat from it), Reassembled, but still won't start, minimum shop charge around here is $100 just to look at it, and they say that, may, or may include solving the problem depending on what it is, (not worth it to me). Especially since so many parts are now unavailable. Anyone have any ideas on why it still won't start?. Thank You
On a side note, as I understand motors, they need air, and every other small motor I have, lawnmower, chainsaw, etc, has an airfilter, but this motor doesn't, and doesn't even seem to have any way of getting air to the carb, as the carb cover mounts right onto the carb (where the choke is). the schematics even show this is correct, but it doesn't make sense to me, am I missing something?

Okay being how you already checked and set the points and plugs, did you check to see if the spark coils were good? If the points are working correctly you should have input to the spark coils too. See if any of them will jump a gap for starters (either with a spark gap tester OR use a spark plug for a quick try). Take one plug out and ground it to the engine casing and see if it will spark at all. Then if it does, check the other plug the same way. If you can't get the coils to work, you may have found you first problem... You have to actuallly verify one step at a time. Get your spark workng, then work on fuel flow and timing and such. But you can't just shotgun your approach while troublshooting your engine...

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, forgot to mention in the question, that after adjusting points, there was a good spark at the plug, (only one plug on this 1 cylinder motor.
Okay being how you already checked and set the points and plugs, did you check to see if the spark coils were good? If the points are working correctly you should have input to the spark coils too. See if any of them will jump a gap for starters (either with a spark gap tester OR use a spark plug for a quick try). Take one plug out and ground it to the engine casing and see if it will spark at all. Then if it does, check the other plug the same way. If you can't get the coils to work, you may have found you first problem... You have to actuallly verify one step at a time. Get your spark workng, then work on fuel flow and timing and such. But you can't just shotgun your approach while troublshooting your engine...

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then you have No fuel for combustion

The carb bowl fills up with gas, and none of the jets appear to be clogged, ( I can see and blow thru them when I removed them). if I remove the drain plug from the bowl, gas will drain thru and eventually empty the fuel tank, so I know fuel is getting to the carb..

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Is the plug wet after you try to start it. IF not then put a bit of fuel directly into the cylinder and they try a start.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i had few of this type(mercury=mariner=tohatsu=johnson=evinrude ,yamaha more or less).is the same powerhead design,
first check compresion, ,
i those motors i got 8 or 9 bar compresion,

then deactivate stop switch, disconect conector with cables going to stopswitch

take out hose going to carb inlet, and check if fuel is floating to carb

check conections under fleywheel

set point break at top dead point