Key for locking lug nuts

4runneradam

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm getting a 2nd hand boat/trailer. It has a dual axle trailer. The tires are dry rotted, and need changed. Problem is, it has the keyed lug nuts, and the seller does not have the socket. And to make it worse, every single lug (20) is the keyed type. I have been told to pound a socket on the lug to remove it, but problem is, I'd have to do this 20 times. Is there somewhere I can buy a new socket to fit this? Local parts stores don't have this style.

Attachments

• lug.JPG
    lug.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 2

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Key for locking lug nuts

Go to Sears and buy a stud remover big enough to fit over the lugs. It looks like a sink spud wrench. The harder you turn, the tighter it grips.

Locking lug nuts like that are practically useless and thieves know it. They do serve as a deterrent though: When in the forest and attacked by a bear, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than the guy next to you!

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually you need some type of "key code" to order the proper key for the locking nuts. Odds of getting the proper one are pretty high. I've had good luck using a hammer and chisel to turn the locking nut loose. Then they just spin off like an ordinary wheel nut. I've also used the proper tool that you hammer over the lock nut and as you turn it to loosen the nut they tighten over the nut spinning the lock nut loose. Success rates on that one vary.
As a last resort you could always remove the hub and wheel together and take it to a mechanic to remove the lug nuts.
Good luck.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Locking lug nuts like that are practically useless and thieves know it. They do serve as a deterrent though: When in the forest and attacked by a bear, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than the guy next to you!

I'd say all 20 done as locking lugnuts serves as a pretty good deterrent! If I were looking at stealing a trailer, I'd just move on to the next one. There is absolutely no quick or easy way to get 20 of them off, at least compared to one per tire.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'm getting a 2nd hand boat/trailer. It has a dual axle trailer. The tires are dry rotted, and need changed. Problem is, it has the keyed lug nuts, and the seller does not have the socket. And to make it worse, every single lug (20) is the keyed type. I have been told to pound a socket on the lug to remove it, but problem is, I'd have to do this 20 times. Is there somewhere I can buy a new socket to fit this? Local parts stores don't have this style.

After looking at the actual type lug nuts you have from your posted picture, maybe a deep well twelve point socket would work. See if you can fit one to that type lug and then either use a breaker bar OR pneumatic impact wrench... Even if you break them off, you would just install new studs... Not a show stopper but just a pain in the....you know what... Can you take the entire wheel/hub off the axle? That would allow you to take the assembly into your shop or garage and work on them a little easier. JMHO! :happy:

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess you have already tried to use a pair of channel locks to grip them???

Thalasso

Commander

There is a tool made for just what you want to achieve.Some garage mechanics have a kit just for this reason. As said above just hammer a socket on that you don't care about destroying.Or you could find yourself a mechanic (garage) and have him do it in about 5 min.Probably cheaper and less aggravating.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any welding shop in town would weld a nut on the end and would likely take very little time to do so. Then spin 'em off with a wrench.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Have you looked at Sears Craftsman "Lug Out" sockets? Their Part No 947392 ?

They are described here: Google Image Result for http://0.tqn.com/d/autorepair/1/G/p/l/7/-/lug1.jpg

Browser issues prevent me from getting to the Sears page to link to.

THIS

IS the way to remove them... the teeth in the sockets are spiraled and work GREAT! You can get a set just about anywhere that sells tools including harbor freight (IIRC $10) and they make short work of the job... If you have an impact they make even shorter work of the job.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Back to my original statement: from the replies, you can see that these type locking lugnuts are really no more difficult to remove than regular lugnuts. Thus a thief with the proper tool would make short work in taking your tires and wheels. Their only deterrent is to vandals and impulse thieves.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it was only one on each wheel, I would use the socket method. I would buy the Sears tool since there are 20.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you get a pipe wrench or vice grips locked onto those grooves?

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you get a pipe wrench or vice grips locked onto those grooves?

This is what I would do. If there is room, a pipe wrench would make short work of the job.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Little chance you can get a pipe wrench in there.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's hard to tell how deep and big his wheels are in that picture. I have done it before. Used a small pipe wrench with a loose piece of pipe over the handle. The loose pipe fits sloppy and can be angled out enough to miss the rim edge. Once you get it broke free a channel lock will do the rest. I've also used a chisel to cut into the edge of the nut, and tap them counter clockwise until loose enough to spin them with a pliers. Did this with my wife's new car (she was girlfriend at the time). Those nuts were recessed into the wheel so there was no way to get a wrench on them.

I'm just trowing some options out there. They might work, they might not.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most tire shops have a wide assortment of keys for those folks that have misplaced theirs. Take your picture and check your area. They will most likely loan or rent you the key.