DPS-A Bellow change

9ls

Recruit
Hi
I am considering to change both bellows (Exhaust and gimbal) on my Volvo Penta (Motor: 5,7 GXI-H, serial no: 4012203966 Transmission, DPS-A: DP 41511442627)
*Will this be possible if I only remove the outdrive - or will I need to remove the housing as well, to get access?
*Will I need to apply any grease/fitting compound?
Input is appreciated :)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: DPS-A Bellow change

The gimbal bellows is actually called the u-joint bellows, and yes you can replace both by just removing the drive. There's little space to work with, but I've found that it is still faster than removing/reinstalling the pivot housing to get more room.

These bellows do not use any sealant or fitting compound. They snap into place and are held with ring clamps. The service manual does suggest greasing the lip of the pinion bearing housing before reinstalling the drive. This will help it slide into place and seal up against the u-joint bellows. It also suggests greasing the 6 bolts before reinstalling the nuts. That's about it, pretty straightforward.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know on the DP-S drives you could change both bellows without removing the pivot housing. But having never changed one on the newer DPS-A models, I can't say for sure if it will work the same or not.
If you give it a try, remove the exhaust bellows, disconnect the water hose from the pivot housing. Disconnect the ujoint bellows and pull it out the bottom.

Take careful note of how the bellows clamps are positioned and put them back the same way.

9ls

Recruit

Thank's for the detailed info - I have enough to give it a try, next weekend. Will keep you posted

9ls

Recruit

Just as a follow-up: It worked fine - not much space but it is possible to do by only removing the drive.