1974 Sizzler 50hp green drips from under flywheel

JS4MSU

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm considering purchasing a 1974 Evinrude Sizzler 50hp, model #50443M. The motor has not been ran for approx 17 years! However, it has been stored indoors (walkout basement), and appears to be in excellent condition. Previous owner was an older gentleman that passed away, and his family is clearing the house. I'm told that the owner was meticulous, and drained the gas and fogged the cylinders each year...before ending up in basement storage. Paint is great, prop is great, no signs of overheating, or previous oil leaks. The one sign that I'm concerned about is that there is some hardened "green" drips that are coming from under the flywheel. It resembles 2-cycle synthetic oil (un-mixed), just to give you a visual reference. However, it is NOT oil, and is not soft at all! The block is originally white, so this is quite noticable, and doesn't look like it should be present. I think it may be a cracked stator or charge coils. What are your opinions, please. Am I getting myself into a bunch of headaches? I'm a bit mechanically inclined, and I'm sure that I could replace the stator (if that's the problem) for less than $200. The purchase price is $700 w/controls.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1974 Sizzler 50hp green drips from under flywheel

The stator insulation is normally green, mice perhaps

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's the stator. ----OR----an old stator that has already been replaced. But at 17 years, even that would be old by now.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, some of those original stators used a polymer sealer that would soften and run over the top of the powerhead... Not hard to replace the stator...

JS4MSU

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies, and confirmation of my thoughts. I'll try to get the price down a bit to cover my repair expense, but I think it's still a good deal on the motor. Take care.

Woody62

Cadet

Can you post how that Sizzler worked out? I'm considering one out here in the Plaines and hear that parts are hard to come by for the sizzler model. Any truth to the different setup and parts for this version versus other model 50hp?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The main difference was the paint job. Nice looking motor though.

w2much

Lieutenant

For $700. they ought to have it running for ya. That thing is almost 40 years old.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

For a mtr that old the asking price is way to high. JMHO