1968 -6 HP Evinrude Gear case re-seal Questions. Model 6802C

Rick.

Captain
Hello all. I've a bad leak with water getting into the gear case on the above engine. I was reading the manual, while waiting for re-seal kit parts, and it talks about two different sealants to use. Sealer 1000 for the spaghetti gasket and Perfect Seal #4 for the screw threads. Can anyone tell me what a good substitution sealant might be for those two mentioned sealants? Sure has been a lot of 6 HP posts just lately. As always, much appreciated. Rick.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 -6 HP Evinrude Gear case re-seal Questions. Model 6802C

I use 3M 847 for sealing just about everything and Locktite for the screws.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Perfect seal #4 used by OMC as well as Mercury

Perfect Seal 4ozs
OMC part number 508235
Mercury part number 92-34227

MarineEngine.com - Engine Parts Search

Evinrude Johnson OMC Fl * Gskt Seal 4oz 0508235 is equivalent to parts:

3857749 Volvo Penta
37559 Sierra Marine
18-9070 Sierra Marine

Sealer 1000 was replaced by 3M 847 Scotch Grip rubber and gasket adhesive. It works great!! Little expensive, but you only need a little and it the will do many many applications

McMaster-Carr

3M Marine 19718 Scotch Grip Sup TM Sup Rubber Gasket Adhesive 847 | eBay

kbait

Commander

Since I ran out of 3M 847 a couple years back I've been using permatex ultra black. No issues.

Good luck!

Rick.

Captain

Thanks for the answers. Kit is on it's way. Haven't got the old seals out but I have lots of time while waiting for the kit. I see I need to extract the bronze/brass shift rod bushing and the parts show an O-ring for a seal. Is the O-ring centered inside that bushing or on the top or bottom of it? Seams to me to seal it would need to be within the bushing. Also, had trouble getting the spaghetti seal and was wondering where to buy it by the foot. My usual mail order supplier only sold it in 50 foot lengths, while another sold all the parts but didn't carry the spaghetti rubber. I'd of been happy to buy 5 feet but could not find it. Funny thing, I ordered some tools from F_R the night before finding this leak and remember thinking I might never need that bushing drive pin so didn't order it. Never think never. LOL. Thanks, Rick.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Rick. the bushing is sitting on top of the o-ring. I can't find the spaghetti seal by the foot though. Seems odd to me.

AlTn

Commander

Rick..are you near a dealer as the dealer here will cut you off a ft. or 2 at a time?...just a note on that bushing/oring reassembly...don't try to push the bushing down any further than it is now as that oring swells under pressure and it's possible to get it so tight around the upper shift rod that it becomes "too" tight and makes it difficult to shift

Rick.

Captain

Rick..are you near a dealer as the dealer here will cut you off a ft. or 2 at a time?...just a note on that bushing/oring reassembly...don't try to push the bushing down any further than it is now as that oring swells under pressure and it's possible to get it so tight around the upper shift rod that it becomes "too" tight and makes it difficult to shift

Ok. So to remove it I need to punch it out from bottom toward the top? Rick.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Rick if you send me your address in a PM ill send some spaghetti seal. I buy it in 100' rolls.

As stated, dont overdrive the bushing back in. Hard to shift, but more important, will squish the o ring and leak. I put a little 3M 847 around the bushings circumference.

For the impeller housing screw threads, I use OMC gasket sealing compound. For the skeg threads, the 3M 847 is what I use. The 3M 847 is by far the best product for sealing gearcases. Its not cheap though, especially if you only need to do 1. Torque the skeg screws evenly, in the same pattern you would a head to get even torque on the skeg to help prevent leaks. When you cut the spaghetti seal, cut it square, not angled, and have it 1/16" overhang to but up tight to the prop shaft seal housing. Too long and it will buckle and leak, too short and there will be a gap and leak. Before installing the skeg, I clean the mating surfaces with acetone to ensure it is clean and adheres. I also like to reccomend a "dry" fit to ensure it closes so that you dont goop it all up then realize there is a problem. Now you have a mess on your hands to clean back up again. The following documents should help as well.

Asm_LU.jpgService_Bullitin_197_Gearcase_Leak_Prevention_5.jpgService_Bullitin_197_Gearcase_Leak_Prevention_5b.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a simple home made tooll. 5/16" rod ground down to 1/4". You can also use spade bits with the proper angle. If you look through your stuff you will likely find something that can be made to work. Although, nothing beats Franks tool. Different gearcases drive out in different fashions. Here is a pic of a bushing and o ring as well so you can envision it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Oldcat, you have a PM.

Rick.

Captain

High Trim. PM sent . I picked up some 3M 847 in Calgary today. Thanks, Rick.

Rick.

Captain

Well the tool I had in mind was a wee bit too wide to catch the bushing without catching some of the cast metal. While trying to come up with the ideal tool dimensions I tried picking the O-ring out and it worked! Being a plumber I have an array of picks to choose from but got it out without any damage to the old O-ring at all. The old one certainly was getting flat on the inside so glad I'm doing the re-seal. Rick.