Hydro electric shift issue.

JoshTroski

Cadet
I have a 100hp Johnson that ran great until one day the shift switch started smoking when I put it in reverse and it stayed running forward. I pulled the boat out of the water wired up a toggle switch and it shifted fine while hooked up to the hose. The next day I put it in the water and again the switch and wires got really hot when I put it in neutral or reverse and would not shift. It runs fine and does not heat up in forward but stays running forward and gets really hot when in any other gear. It ran fine one day then it rained pretty bad for a few days and this happened the next time I started it. I ran it with forward only the rest of the summer and really don't want to have to do that again. I'm sure I have it wired right because it worked just fine out of water. I also have a new battery. I know that there is no power to the wires when in forward so i'm thinking I might have a short somewhere. Any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydro electric shift issue.

I have a 100hp Johnson that ran great until one day the shift switch started smoking when I put it in reverse and it stayed running forward.

For the shift switch to start smoking.... it would have to have had a direct short to ground.

JoshTroski

Cadet

So you think a short is my problem? Any idea where I might look?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Any idea where I might look?
Harness under cowling to lower unit, find the knife blade connector and disconnect and retest. If heating issue goes away the harness from engine to controls are ok.............