dealer recomended car distributor.

aroncornell

Seaman Apprentice
So i picked up this 1973 searay srv200. Distributor was all busted so ive been on the hunt for a new one. Went to my nearest searay dealer, skipper buds in coopersville MI, and they informed me that the distributor i need from mercury marine parts is no longer built and that there was nothing he could do for me. So i asked what i should do and he told me to go to autozone with the old distributor and match one to the year of the motor with one for a car, and told me that when they replace them at their shop, they use car distributors. Now this contradicts everything I have read about using marine distributors for safety reasons, and I want to be safe, but Im out of options. The distributor I need is the mercury parts 64025. what do I do?

tonyjklh

Cadet
Re: dealer recomended car distributor.

So i picked up this 1973 searay srv200. Distributor was all busted so ive been on the hunt for a new one. Went to my nearest searay dealer, skipper buds in coopersville MI, and they informed me that the distributor i need from mercury marine parts is no longer built and that there was nothing he could do for me. So i asked what i should do and he told me to go to autozone with the old distributor and match one to the year of the motor with one for a car, and told me that when they replace them at their shop, they use car distributors. Now this contradicts everything I have read about using marine distributors for safety reasons, and I want to be safe, but Im out of options. The distributor I need is the mercury parts 64025. what do I do?

I have compared a couple marine distributors side by side with the matching automotive one. and in both cases there was absolutely no differences. im not sure if that will be the case with all distributors though. but I would say go get the automotive one and compare it with your old one. im sure it will be fine.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... That's just plain ole Bad Info,....

What motor ya got,..??

Merc may not sell what ya had, but there's alota reasonably options, None of which are Automotive distributors...

Delco EST is a Good 1, 'n reasonably priced...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have compared a couple marine distributors side by side with the matching automotive one. and in both cases there was absolutely no differences. im not sure if that will be the case with all distributors though. but I would say go get the automotive one and compare it with your old one. im sure it will be fine.

What experience gives you the right to make such a statement? Experience in the marine industry? Former certified marine tech? I somehow doubt that.

My first thought is that a marine distributor is sealed and vented and designed to prevent sparks that could ignite fuel vapors in an engine compartment should you have a fuel leak. Automotive distributors are not. Some may actually look like automotive but there are differences not seen by the unknowing that do not know what to look for.
Without knowing what engine, or what distributor types we are dealing with other than a number I would have to say your searay dealer is making a mistake.

Perhaps some information as to engine type would help, and what the auto distributor actually is would be helpful.

Bondo

Staff member

Generally speakin' marine distributors don't have a comparable automotive counterpart...

So which 2 were you actually comparin',..??

aroncornell

Seaman Apprentice

Its a mercruiser 302, dont have the serial number right off hand, but the old distributor was model 64025 mercury, so if that helps.

matt167

Captain

Mallory makes a marine line of distributors, they are not bad priced They do list a Ford 302. Mercury has not supported Ford engines in a long time. I don't know when Merc quit running Fords but probably 30 years ago.. Anything on the electrical system of a marine engine needs to be ignition protected components, which they will be if they are certified for marine use.

Don S

Ford, Ok, What was the distributor they recommended?

Mallory for sure makes Marine distributors for the Fords, but avoid automotive. They are not ignition protection (keeps you from blowing up) and they usually have different advance setups.
Oh, BTW, find a dealer that understands marine engines.

aroncornell

Seaman Apprentice

So how will I know if that mallory from summit will work on my boat?

Don S

Post a link to it here so we can see which one it is.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Questions on the old distributor;

How busted up is busted up? Is it busted up in the sense that it looks like a truck hit it? Busted up in the sense that it's worn out? Or are we somewhere in between?

I ask, because if it's still in reasonable condition, a distributor shop may be able to rehab it for you for a nominal fee (most likely cheaper than a new one)...

aroncornell

Seaman Apprentice

Yea, i know its a marine, were you asking for a link to the automotive distributor?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... That's just plain ole Bad Info,....

What motor ya got,..??

Merc may not sell what ya had, but there's alota reasonably options, None of which are Automotive distributors...

Delco EST is a Good 1, 'n reasonably priced...

A delco EST is an automotibe distributor, put it side by side with a 87 to 94 tbi chev truck distributor, they are identical in every respect, however, this is the only one that is.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Its a mercruiser 302, dont have the serial number right off hand, but the old distributor was model 64025 mercury, so if that helps.

Ok... That distributor (actual part# -64025A2) is from a Ford 302 (used on a few variants, 888, 225, 225-S, 225 MIE) from 1971 to 1977. It's a Mercury Marine distributor, and yes, no longer produced.

Like everyone else is saying, and I think it's important enough to say it again. There is no way on this earth you should be putting a non-marine distributor in a boat. ANYONE who recommends that is seriously crossing a line, a VERY dangerous line.

The SAE1171J marine certification that marine electrical parts must conform to is all about making a marine engine as safe as possible. I have personally been involved in a boat explosion, and it's not pretty. The guys on board survived, but will never walk again. That was from a spark caused by a damaged wire touching the (aluminium) hull of the boat. It had just been refueled and vapours were still lying in the bilge. One of them flicked the blower switch and BOOM, up she went....

If I find someone recommending such a dangerous activity as putting potentially explosive parts in a boat, I will knock them silly!!!!

Chris.......

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had Ford 302 for 20yrs, they have a Mallory, Prestolite and mine was Merc's own. I changed out mine for any of the others and they worked just fine. Took the original to machine shop put in new bushings to take out slop in shaft. Gear never goes. then put in electronic ign. kit ran the best in years and did not have to buy expensive online replacement. Like all the rest said on this string keep it marine.
I like the Echlin dis cap the best they have the brass tips. Now I'm a GM 5.7L boater.

Don S