What would you do with this seat?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am hoping to create a thread to challenge your creative instincts. I am looking for opinions on what you would do if you bought a tinny that someone had modified like this. The like this included a piece of OSB for for the lid (removed and not shown).

seat-1.jpg

I initially thought that I would just fill it with foam and put some aluminum back over the hole. After pricing the foam and the cost of the 1/8" metal I am open to suggestions. :) Just an ugly patch is expensive. A new top for the whole 67" seat even pricier. A patch with a fiberglass overlay somewhere in the middle.

Just as a side comment it looks like two different grades of foam were used. Love to hear any comments about that.

At the current moment I am leaning towards supporting the front an back edges of the seat and builing a storage box with a decent lid that flushes even with the existing seat top.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What would you do with this seat?

I'd be tempted to find (or make) a cutting board just slightly larger than the opening and add cleats to the back so that it stays steady. Bait would be kept below and cut on the board for use.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sheet aluminum is cheap at scrap yards and recycle centers.

Foam isn't that expensive if you use the rigid sheet polystyrene foam insulation.

The first thing that crossed my mind was a full length and width piece of 3/4" plywood sealed with 4 or 5 coats of exterior grade spar urethane.

If money is that big of a problem maybe you should just put the OSB back on top of it and save up for a decent fix.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sheet aluminum is cheap at scrap yards and recycle centers.

Foam isn't that expensive if you use the rigid sheet polystyrene foam insulation.

The first thing that crossed my mind was a full length and width piece of 3/4" plywood sealed with 4 or 5 coats of exterior grade spar urethane.

This is why I love forums.

Those two suggestions are very good ones and they are the type of response I was looking for. Touching base with the scrap metal dealer was on my list but the possibility of a well sealed wood skin on the top of the seat never entered my mind partly because this boat has no wood; even the transom is skinned. Done with care it should last a long time.