Pickled Northern.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
After 7 days in a vinegar/salt brine:

Then we rinsed and put the chunks in a vinegar/sugar/spice brine. 4 days later:

Daughter got the recipe from her teacher. He was trying to remember the recipe while she was writing it down. Someone went astray somewhere with quantities. So we winged it, which basically turned out to be equal to a recipe online. The jar on the right looks discolored because it has more spices. Tonite we'll give it a taste or two. Waiting for the daughter to get home from school since she help make it.............:bored:

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Pickled Northern.......

If you need an expert on quality control I can give you my address and you can send a jar or two my way. Looks yummy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Yes I can be a taste tester as well and give a quality feedback if you want... Just let me know and I'll send you my address... :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pickled Pike - Sounds yummy. Is it like pickled herring? Or it tastes like chicken if you're trying to convince someone to try it. :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Appreciate all the volunteers, but, I have a feelin' once we dig in, the jars won't last very long............. Yep, very much like herring except the texture is different. Pike is more firm.

Ps.................. She's here!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye.............:hungry:

GA_Boater

Two hours and no foodie report. I was expecting at least a hearty burp. :lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You wouldn't believe it. I went upstairs and the kid was eating an apple. Now that would taste good with pickled fish.:facepalm: We're about to have supper. There will be some pickled appetizers!

GA_Boater

Apple and pickled fish. Killed my appetite. :blue:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Ok, a little fish on crackers. Daughter said it tasted like what her teacher brought to school(only in the northwoods can you get away with that!). However, she informed me we need cheese too, like her teacher provided. So, we need to pick up a small block of colby. Next batch we need more sugar in the final brine. This is a little vinegary. That's where the "quantities" came into play. Online they say 2 parts vinegar to 1 part sugar. We're a tad(lol) low. Next batch, during summer(?) fishing we should have it down. Still is very tasty.

BTW, I had her pick which jar. She picked the "pretty" one with all the extra spices...........;)

GA_Boater

See, you have a good reason to go fishing. Just perfecting the recipe. :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

That's exactly what I told her. Also, we need to make a batch for grandpa and grandma, they love pickled herring.....

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Your scandihovians coming out, MMMM rolemops, BURP LOL!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Scandihovians rule! That's mainly what I am alright........:humble:

southkogs

Staff member

Scandihovians rule! That's mainly what I am alright........:humble:
I try so hard (I have relatives named Ingaborg, Helmi, & Ragnar), but I just can't acquire the taste for pickled fish. My dad can eat it like candy ... the Admiral teases me 'cause last time I tried to let my Swedish shine through, I spend half the night releasing the herring I caught. Sweatin' just thinking about that.

Love the hardtack though ...

angus63

Captain

I had a bad pickled egg when I was young and never ate anything pickled other than cucumber since.

aspeck

Staff member

I like Swedish fish! They are all red and gummy and sweet! Yum!

82rude

Rear Admiral

pickeled eggs and draught beer is one of the deadliest man-made biological weapons.add pike and you,d be breaking every convention know to man.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Since your Scandihoviness is showing, maybe you want to try this? Swedish Lutefisk Recipe - Food.com - 12617

No thanks. Tried it once, that was enough. The only thing I want jiggling on my plate is cherry jello.

I try so hard (I have relatives named Ingaborg, Helmi, & Ragnar), but I just can't acquire the taste for pickled fish. My dad can eat it like candy ... the Admiral teases me 'cause last time I tried to let my Swedish shine through, I spend half the night releasing the herring I caught. Sweatin' just thinking about that.

Love the hardtack though ...

Hardtack! Yum! Ever make an open face sandwich with one?

I like Swedish fish! They are all red and gummy and sweet! Yum!

My wife loves Swedish fish, I like them too. It's a staple at B-Ball games......