Electrical question on '77 Johnson 25

wiguy85

Cadet
We are putting the tiller setup back onto a 1977 Johnson 25 outboard and wiring was cobbled up for the key and other stuff. Starter is hooked up using key or push button now, not sure which (starter acting up) but question is, i need a way of shutting it off. For pushbutton setup, need a kill switch so I'm wondering what wire i need to open/close through the switch to ground to get the engine to kill? gotta be some yellow wire with stripes on it for the cdi/coil but not sure which one has to be used for kill switch...or what to hook up if using a key switch? any help apprectiated, thanks

airman1094

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Electrical question on '77 Johnson 25

I want to say its the black wire with a yellow stripe....pretty sure that's the one mine has. I'm sure someone will come along that knows more on that subject:)!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electrical question on '77 Johnson 25

Turning key to "Off" position connects the black w/yellow stripe wire to black (ground) wire to kill the ignition. Red/purple is "hot" wire from battery, white is start wire. Purple goes between key switch and choke switch. Purple/white stripe is choke wire.