Flatrock, MI assembly of Fusions

TilliamWe

Banned
Do any of you know if they have started to actually make the Fusions there yet? If so, where are they going, because all the Fusions around here are built in Mexico.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flatrock, MI assembly of Fusions

I friggin' LOVE my 2012 Fusion SEL V6 (bought in Sept '11). Unfortunately the new ones don't appeal to me very much especially with the lack of a V6 option. This is my first Ford and won't be my last. It would be great if they moved more assembly back to the US.

TilliamWe

Banned

I wouldn't ever look at a 2012 or older again, now that the 2013 is out. WAY better looking car, in most people's opinions. Lack of V6 not a problem with EcoBoost I4s.

But what I really want to know is, have they started actually producing cars in Flat Rock?

I have seen the press releases about hiring workers, and Motor Trend reports that they will be made there, but WHEN? My MIL wants to buy a car, I want her to check out the awesome looking new Fusion, but she will NOT (nor would I advocate) buy a car made in Mexico.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

We may have had this conversation before, but incase you didn't know; If you ever want to know where a car your looking at is built, just check out the first number or letter on the VIN.

1 or 4= US
2= Canada
3= Mexico
5= Brazil

Letters = respective countrys
J= Japan
K= Korea
L= China
S= England/UK
T= Thailand
W= Germany
V= France, or Yugoslavia (avoid V's at all costs! :p)
Y= Sweden
Z= Italia

TilliamWe

Banned

Rogers, I was an auto damage appraiser for 10 years, and knew that chart before I even started. ;) That's how I knew all the cars in my area were made in Mexico. They don't advertise them that way of course, but when you search dealers' inventories and everything begins "3F..." you know it's a Ford built in Mexico.

Your chart is wrong in one spot, though. 5 is US also.

tpenfield

Staff member

I never liked the front end of the Fusions , but do like the recent re-style better.

i rented a 2011 or 2012 in CA and the thing was awesome. Got like 40 mpg on the highway (oops, I mean freeway)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I like the look of the new 2013 Fusion. I thought the the 2012 Fusion was a bit dated.

2013 Ford Fusion Review by David Thomas

With the I4 having 231HP why would one want or need the V6. The difference in HP is negligible.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

With the I4 having 231HP why would one want or need the V6. The difference in HP is negligible.

Although if they droped the SHO Taurus/ Eco-Boost 3.5 between the fenders, they'd have them selves one heck of a rocket...

I like the look of the new 2013 Fusion. I thought the the 2012 Fusion was a bit dated.

2013 Ford Fusion Review by David Thomas

wait till they finnaly start to get the RS focus over here 300hp front wheel drive. they have have had them in europe for a few years now and there is talk of them being sold over here next year (30mpg avg). At the moment there trying to sell the focus ST 250hp which is like the kiddys version of the RS.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's funny cuz I just cannot get into the new ones but love the look of mine. I'm a bit conservative on car styling though. My friend bought a 2012 and had it over at my house. I was looking for something to replace our boring Accord and after checking out her Fusion I bought one the next week. This is mine:

TilliamWe

Banned

sorry ez, the new car looks like a Jaguar compared to that model, which looks like an 04 Impala! ;) :)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The car in posting #12 looks like the Taurus, not the Fusion.

The new model Fusion has the front end of an Aston Martin. That's about all they got out of owning A/M as a company--and big losses.

The new Fusions have had hundreds of changes from the previous models, and they're essentially a whole new car. Within the auto world, engineering of the new Fusions is supposed to be fabulous. They've done a great job with the car in a very crowded mid-size retail market.

Even after going up against a new Malibu model, a new Accord, a refreshed Camry--Fusion tops them all

mscher

Lieutenant

Way to go Ford, start production one model year later than what you said. No Fusion for my MIL, then.

It would seem, (to me, anyway )that building a auto manufacturing plant, during a slow economy, would not be an easy or quick decision to make.

TilliamWe

Banned

It would seem, (to me, anyway )that building a auto manufacturing plant, during a slow economy, would not be an easy or quick decision to make.

Except the plant was already built for decades.
They announced in Sept at the latest that they would be building Fusions there. I am bummed that they aren't going to actually start production until July.

As I said, unfortunate for Ford, as my MIL (nor I) will not buy a car made in Mexico.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you want an American made car of the same type, get an Accord or Camry.

TilliamWe

Banned

Bruce, while assembled in the United States, they are not Union made. My Father-In-Law was a union bricklayer and later BAC employee his entire adult life. So not only wouldn't my MIL want a non-union made car, neither would I. (Plus they are Japanese companies, not American companies, and that still matters to me, also)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce, while assembled in the United States, they are not Union made.
Even better! They actually have the best workers on the job instead of the most senior.