Zinc chromate primer drying time?

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a whole bunch of Mercury outboard parts that I need to paint. I got some zinc chromate primer from Moeller, and the can says "recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours". Is that just additional coats of primer or does that include the paint? Do I have to wait 48 hours before the final coat?

Also, my can of Mercury Phantom black says to use "Mercury light grey primer". Mercury doesn't even sell zinc chromate. Is there any reason the Mercury primer would be better? Didn't my 70s Mercury parts come from the factory with zinc primer? (I can see the green coming through)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Zinc chromate primer drying time?

The Zinc chromate primer is mostly a barrier primer between bare aluminum and any subsequent coatings...
as long as it hasn't sat there for an eternity, you could probably very lightly scuff the surface with a Fine or Ultra-Fine Scotchbrite Pad, apply your solid primer color, then topcoat...if you break through the ZC primer, just reapply a light dusting and continue...
Basically the "window" that the Moeller paint is talking about means that as long as you apply the next layer within that time frame, no further prep should be required...IF, of course it is smooth and ready for topcoating...otherwise you may have a little more prep ahead of you...
Have Fun!
GT1M

tpenfield

Staff member

Using the Mercury primer is better for Mercury. You should be fine going over the Moeller primer with the black top coat. I would wait the 48 hours before you do the top coat. So, by my watch, you got about 40 more hours left to wait.

I'll be doing the same in the next week or so, as I coated my outdrives with the Moeller ZC about a month ago, but have been waiting for warmer weather to do the top coat and then the anti fouling coat.

FWIW - I use Rustoleum gloss black or even the store brand gloss black enamel. The outdrive does not really care about the paint brand.

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm curious why Mercury doesn't sell their own brand or recommend zinc chromate primer...since they do sell the paint, clear coat, and "grey" primer. The reason they sell it and the reason I bought it is because its Mercury Phantom black, which is not the same as every other black. :)

Is that in fact zinc chromate primer that I see coming through on my 40 year old parts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It should be. Aluminum should always be primed with ZC