Help with stringer replacement

Jamie 10017

Seaman
I know this has been brought up a thousand times before, I need some advice on what and how to go about this. I have a 1987 Wellcraft Gran Sport and as you know they are know for rotten stringers. Well I have rotten main stringers I want to fix this boat so please don't say junk it, I know this can be done and I will do it. I bought this boat as a project and at this point I have it gutted , The engines ,trans, fuel tanks all electrical, and plumbing have been removed for the restoration. I also realize it going to be expensive and I can do this myself so I'm not going to hire anyone to do what I can do. With all that out of the way I,m asking for guidance , the Gran Sport has a intergraded hull with a liner so I know I will have to cut the sole in the cabin. I have also thought about trying to separate the hull and liner but they are glued together and I don't think it would come apart without destroying the boat .The main stringers are 18 inches deep and about 2 1/2" maybe 3" wide , It has two pieces of 1/2 ply glassed in for the stringer or I should say had. I was thinking about cutting the top off and digging the rot out but being that deep I'm not sure it can be done that way. Then I was thinking about cutting one side off of the stringers along with the top and digging it out so I can also get the hull underneath the rot make the stringer and re-glass everything. I am trying to get a plan before I undertake this so I'm open for ideas . Thanks in advance Jamie

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Help with stringer replacement

A wellcraft person will be along and help you on the access problem.

First thing I would do is make sure you have good engines. You don't want to go back after it's finished and redo for different engines. ( post the engine info)

Second. Maybe you can repair your stringers to be molds for several layers of glass.

Third. Maybe you need to really think this over.

Hey good luck. A bunch of good fiberglass guys on here plus a bunch of rebuild threads ( search)

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Thanks Lyle , I have both engines out and rebuilt, also both transmissions. I build race engines for a living and have a complete machine shop to do so. I'm not rich but any means, I looked at boats for over 2 years And to be quite honest I have given it a lot of thought LOL maybe too much. And have decided to go for it but I really appreciate your concern. I love these boats and I know I will never see anything close to the time and money spent restoring this boat if I ever try to sell it. Just a labor of love - its like a old Rambler that someone want to restore most people will ask why waste your money but in the eyes of the owner its love. It is and always will be a 87 boat, I really do thank you Jamie

Jamie 10017

Seaman

I will post the engine info... a pair of 498 CID chevys With upgraded velvet drive transmissions, these engines were built for this boat to have huge torque cruve right off idle to around 4200 rpms. The engines are not radical very boat-able just lots of torque wasn't worried about horsepower. A old saying is Horsepower sells a boat....Torque is what moves it. this boat weighs almost 15,000 lbs. so It needed a little ***.... its not a race boat or a go fast, top speed around 30-35 mph.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That size of boat is WAY outa my league so I'll let others help you along, but...One thing's for sure, they're gunna want pics, sooo.... Open a Free Photobucket account and then use the IMG Code to copy and paste your pics into you iBoats posts. Good luck on this rebuild.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Woodonglass I don't think this is outa your league , from your post I have read seems you got it down to a science

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Never worked on a 32 footer with twin's!!! Heck I've never even seen one!!! I assume the stringers, bulkies etc... are pretty much fabricated the same but... I can't comment from experience so I won't. I'm sure the PRO's will be along to help you out.

Jamie 10017

Seaman

No one has any advice or ideas on this one? I'm open for all comments suggestions etc. Thanks Jamie

P.S. except the ones that tell me not to do it

jbcurt00

Staff member

Pix of what your working on would help get more replies.

No one has any advice or ideas on this one? I'm open for all comments suggestions etc. Thanks Jamie
P.S. except the ones that tell me not to do it

Advice about removing 1 side of the stringer's glass wrap, removing the rotten wood, laying in new wood and then re-glassing it?

Don't know that it wouldn't work, but IMHO it would be better to REMOVE the entire stringer & all the fiberglass covering, grind/sand to fresh glass, build new stringers, install them, tab & fiberglass them in place.

Reference WoodOnGlass's graphic in his signature line:
"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

I'm guessing you're referring to not telling you to not rehab the boat in general, rather then telling you to not do the stringers the way you propose, which I wouldn't do.

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Yes Sorry I didn't make it clear, I want to do the rehab and had people tell me I was crazy. I was thinking of just cutting one side of the fiberglass off of the stringer so I could dig the rotten wood out put a new stringer in and reglass the side and the top . The boat has a liner that is bonded to the stringers. I want to replace the stringers but I'm concerned about cutting the cabin sole. I know the sole being bonded to the stringer gives the boat support from flexing, but since I cant gain access to the stringers without cutting ,I dont know if I should just cut above the stringer or cut the sole out as much as i can. I will try to post some pictures, this boat is 34 ft with a LOA of 37"9 the stringers are almost 18 inchs tall. I can get to the stringers in the engine area since I have both engines out along with the fuel tanks etc. Its just a gutted hull right now. I want to do this right just looking for some input on the best way to go. thanks Jamie