Throttle question.??

natedog337

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys,

Just unwrapped my boat and prepping for the season. When I was checking my throttle I am able to move it to reverse and then downward as if I was backing and increasing throttle. So the reverse seems to operate as it always does when the engine is running. Now from neutral I can move the throttle into forward gear but then it is extremely tight and will not go forward as if I was accelerating. This is only my second year with the boat and I wasn't sure if the motor needs to be running in order for the throttle to move forward freely or if I may have an issue. Figured I check with you guys before dripping it as I'm not sure if this is an issue or normal. Thanks as always...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Throttle question.??

Ayuh,.... What motor,..??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just like a standard transmission car or truck, if the engine is not running you may or may not be able to shift gears. Start the engine and then see what happens -- but make sure you have water going to the engine.

Capt Ken

Commander

Shift into forward and have someone spin the prop to make sure the clutch dogs fall into place. It should throttle up then. If not, you have a problem in your binacle. Be sure the engine isn't running while doing this.