U-joint Assembly - Small Spacer?

PatrickBoyle

Seaman Apprentice
I'm replacing the oil seal on my 1985 MR input yoke. I was going through the service procedure, and from Chris' video, I understand that the later drives did away with the small spacer and you have to torque to the specified preload using a dial indicating wrench. Trouble is, I don't have a dial indicating torque wrench and I'd rather not buy one considering they are $100+ and I'll probably use it once.

At this point I haven't taken apart my bearing assembly yet, but assuming it has the small spacer, is it OK to go ahead and reassemble using the spacer and the pre-set torque value? If it does not have the spacer, can I add a spacer?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: U-joint Assembly - Small Spacer?

I'm replacing the oil seal on my 1985 MR input yoke. I was going through the service procedure, and from Chris' video, I understand that the later drives did away with the small spacer and you have to torque to the specified preload using a dial indicating wrench. Trouble is, I don't have a dial indicating torque wrench and I'd rather not buy one considering they are $100+ and I'll probably use it once.

Rent it.

PatrickBoyle said:
At this point I haven't taken apart my bearing assembly yet, but assuming it has the small spacer, is it OK to go ahead and reassemble using the spacer and the pre-set torque value? If it does not have the spacer, can I add a spacer?

If you have the spacer you torque the nut to 80 ft lbs. If you don't have the spacer, no you can't add it....

Here's the catch. If you open it up and you don't have the spacer you MUST re-torque it using the 'no spacer/rolling torque' method, you don't have another option. And no, you can't just mark the nut and put it back there.

Chris.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: U-joint Assembly - Small Spacer?

You wont know what type you have untill you take it apart.If you need a puller to remove the gear and no inner ring then its "rolling torque" .If the gear slips off then you will find a inner ring and just torque to spec.