old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been told to never fill a portable gas tank while the can is sitting
in the bed of a pick up. However with the use of plastic, or roll on bed liners
does that still hold true?? Regards, old jim

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Re: filling gas tank in PU bed

I've seen a warning on gas pumps not to do it but never could figure out why. I'll be curious to hear.

wrench 3

Commander

When I was operating a service station the "powers to be" told us not to fill a gas can in a truck bed with a plastic liner. Something to do with static build up by the gas moving inside the plastic gas can. But I don't know how being on the ground helps?

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes static build up. But I thought it had to do with metal cans and metal PU beds. old jim

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it has to do with static, and being on the ground would help dissipate the build up to ground. Never fill it off the ground. More so in a plastic bed liner.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it has to do with static, and being on the ground would help dissipate the build up to ground. Never fill it off the ground. More so in a plastic bed liner.

Would dryer sheets help?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Yes Jim, dryer sheets do help. Put one in each pocket and if you have silver fillings or dentures put one in your mouth. Cuts down on static and you won't cling to your food as much.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Gas fumes are heavy and filling the tank in the bed you could end up with a box full of fumes.
Almost anything could touch it off.Same reason you don't fill a portable tank in the boat.
A guy I worked with was in Europe in WW2 he used gas carried in a helmet to ignite damp wood in a fire place.
He set the helmet on the floor across the room with some remaining gas in it.
After a few minutes the the fumes ignited across the floor setting off the fumes in the helmet.
If you think about it the fumes were probably drawn across the floor by the draft in the fireplace.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Here's the deal. Metal can in a metal bed is a problem. Why? Because that truck is sitting on RUBBER TIRES, which act as insulators, not allowing any static electricity to "drain" to ground.

Add a bed liner, and you've just made the problem WORSE. Why? Because now the can is insulated from the truck by a material known to CREATE static electricity - and the truck is still insulated from the ground. It's relatively easy to generate 40,000 volts of static electricity under these conditions. Hell, you can generate that much, just pulling scotch tape off the roll!

Bottom line: Put those fuel tanks ON THE GROUND when you fill them.

wrench 3

Commander

Here's the deal. Metal can in a metal bed is a problem. Why? Because that truck is sitting on RUBBER TIRES, which act as insulators, not allowing any static electricity to "drain" to ground.

Add a bed liner, and you've just made the problem WORSE. Why? Because now the can is insulated from the truck by a material known to CREATE static electricity - and the truck is still insulated from the ground. It's relatively easy to generate 40,000 volts of static electricity under these conditions. Hell, you can generate that much, just pulling scotch tape off the roll!

Bottom line: Put those fuel tanks ON THE GROUND when you fill them.

I knew someone with the right expertise would chime in sooner or later. But I did like MinUph's input on dryer sheets.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I knew someone with the right expertise would chime in sooner or later. But I did like MinUph's input on dryer sheets.

I didn't want to say that if you could raise the relative humidity of the planet to around 98%, that static buildup is greatly reduced.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that about covers this subject. So shall we discuss the high cost
of good tequila?? old jim
so where are the emi smiley faces?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I like Cuervo gold :lol::):watermelon:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

The best thing to do is fill your tanks in the morning The ground temp. is always 65 Degrees unless the gas station just got a shipment of gasoline .Static electricity is less likely at lower temps and in the shade.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I like Cuervo gold :lol::):watermelon:

He said GOOD Tequila.

While many people prefer the "Silver" variety, I do not.

Tequila Terminology:

"Silver": Vintage "last week". No aging. Good for mixing, or stripping paint.
"Reposado": Aged at least six months before bottling. Much smoother. The minimum age I will consider for a shot.
"A?ejo": (Pronounced on-yay-ho.) Aged at least one year before bottling. The smoothest tequila. My preferred grade of tequila.

"The Worm". The worm is not a sign of quality, or "specialness" unless you consider a bug in your booze special. It was started as a marketing ploy by some guy that decided he was going to start making tequila (was it in 1946?) Total hype.

I like Corazon, Gran Centenario, and a few others (I have a bottle of Gran Centenario A?ejo in my freezer right now, at home).
I really dislike Patron products. Oh! If you're a Curevo guy, forget the "Gold". Get the "Reserva de la Familia". Yeah, it's a hundred bucks a bottle. Yeah, it's that good.

EDIT: "Training Wheels". Some people think you have to have salt and lime with a shot of tequila. Well maybe you do with that paint stripper variety. In my family, training wheels are for kids. Maybe we're hard-core.

EDIT 2: "The Toast".

Para arriba, para abajo, para centro, para dentro. (Then down the hatch.)

Translates to something like "for above, for below, for inside, and for something else" I don't speak that much spanish, even after five or six shots.