What's the better brand? (Crownline 220 ex vs. Chaparral Sunesta 224)

grimstad

Recruit
I have basically narrowed my search for a new "used" deckboat to two... "Crownline 220 ex" and "Sunesta 224". Both seem well made with plenty available on the market (also like Four Winns Horizon 240 and Regal 2400, but fewer are out there), though I prefer the styling of the Sunesta. I am way too analytical on big purchase decisions (just ask my wife), and I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but all things equal (hours, condition, engine, extras, etc.), what's the better brand? I have not owned either and have always thought they were very comparable. Based on the "base list price" and "average retail", however, it would suggest Crownline is superior.

Suggested List - Average Retail
2009 Crownline 220 ex $57,533 $39,670
2009 Chaparral Sunesta 224 $47,301 $35,420

I'd be interested to hear from folks with first hand experience with both.

Thanks!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: What's the better brand? (Crownline 220 ex vs. Chaparral Sunesta 224)

I don't buy it, Chap is a hell of a boat and I am quite biased, I would have no issues in owning a quality used Chap, not one bit. Your opinion on these boats being comparable is spot on.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Neither is "better". They are equal in my book, slight edge to Chap possibly, but VERY slight. The better boat is the one you like best, and fits your needs.
You left out the Monterey M3, which is also on the same level as the two you mentioned.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

equal

tpenfield

Staff member

They are both the same according to my personal boat brand ranking list . . . Buy what you like, not worrying about brand inferiority.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am going to parrot the other guys here. Both are very nice quality boats. Personally I am biased toward Chap, having owned one myself, but you wont be disapointed in either.

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have no opinion on which is better but if I were buying I like that Chap. Makes me jealous of not being able to afford a newer boat. But at least I have a boat.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Neither is "better". They are equal in my book, slight edge to Chap possibly, but VERY slight. The better boat is the one you like best, and fits your needs.
You left out the Monterey M3, which is also on the same level as the two you mentioned.

And I am with this guy on the Monterey. We love our Monterey. Granted its not a deck boat, but.........

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I`ve got a Chap Sunesta. I`ve never owned a Crownline, so I can`t give a true comparrison. I will say that I really like my boat. It seems to be ruggedly built, has nice amenities and has some very sharp looks. Chap makes a very good boat, but buy the one that best fits your needs.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Crownline and Chaparral are both upper quality boats. Personally, I prefer the styling of the Crownline deck boats but would be happy with either.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

echo everyone else. What you need to do is get in both boats to figure out the intangibles. Like storage space for towels, PFD's and jackets. Where will the ice chest fit? Table? where is it stored? How much canvas? Is there storage for it? How is engine access?

---that's what you need to find out, which boat will work best for you with all your crap aboard! :)

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't see where you have been properly welcomed so:

Welcome to IBOATS!

With that said and indicating I think of others and am a nice guy, here goes.

Basically what all the others guys have said is to just PICK ONE. Whatever one it is or another one, just PICK ONE. Get it checked out to your satisfaction and buy it and add 1 to the national BOATER counter. Don't, for heavens sake, keep posting asking for opinions from people with "what about this boat" or "what about that boat" when the only ones that matter are you and your wife.
Your life, your money, your wife, your memories. Most likely this won't be your last boat anyways.

You stated: I am way too analytical on big purchase decisions
You really sure about that? I've taken the official tests and am classified as an "analytical" and we "analytical" folks don't need opinions from others to help with a decision. We do our homework, gather some facts then make it happen.

Like I mentioned to the guy in the below link, post #10, don't get caught up in "paralysis by analysis". No OCD.

As in my signature extracted from the same thread below, Become a BOATER so, as I indicate in post #12:
we'll see threads from you that start with:

My boat is a ________ and I need help with _________
My engine is a ________ and I need help with _________
My outdrive is a ________ and I need help with _________

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...topics/new-forum-buying-used-boat-596775.html

Love,
Mark