A little newbie help on a Used Purchase- REBUILT Faststrike

Sdad

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I am in the market for a used fishing boat, I have been working with a dealer as they have trades coming in at this time of year.
One boat in paticular came in and I love the boat, it is exactly what I am looking for. The motor is a 1996 Johnson Faststrike 115 hp. The dealer gave me a price for the boat, at the same time they let me know that the motor needed some work. One of the cylinders had an issue (scorn) and they informed me they were going to do a rebuild of the unit.

This is a reputable dealer in our area, but I have heard good and bad about any powerhead being re-built. Iguess this is a little different than most rebuild situations where someone is deciding if a motor they already own is worth re-building and taking on the cost of re-pair....but I want to know if this motor should be drastically discounted becasue it is re-built.

Do you have any advice on what I should be asking about the rebuild, experience, warranty etc...Further when buying a re-built motor, what kind of discount should I be asking for? Wha tkind of warranty do you think is reasonable.

Is it better to have a 1996 motor with no re-build and not know much about it, but performs well or a 1996 that has been inspected and re-built?

Do you have any experience with this paticular motor being re-built?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: A little newbie help on a Used Purchase- REBUILT Faststrike

If I got a warranty thatd satisfy me. In my experience if a engine is going to go bad it will in the first outing or so after a rebuild. Any warranty should be at least a few months

Important you find out what was wrong with the cylinder and how they fixed it.
Also find out what else they replaced such as did they do upper and lower seals .
Ask for before and after compression readings.
Id say a rebuilt motor is more expensive than a 1996 non rebuilt if done properly so im thinking you wont be able to discount due to it

Sdad

Seaman Apprentice

Here is what they are doing/replacing:
1 cylinder was slightly scorn and lost some compression.
They are replacing the sleeve and all piston rings.
Replacing the water and oil pump.
Offer a 30 day warranty.

They assured me they have done many of these in there shop before and the earliest they have seen one comeback blown again was 5 yrs. and was probably user error (oil).

Anybody else running on a rebuild, with some info? I will ask for compression readings.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Sounds good.
Ask them if they are doing the upper and lower seals too then they will be fine for many years too.