How much corrosion is too much on used?

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, we're now in active talks on three different boats. DH is very leery of outdrive and prop condition. One of the three boat owners emailed us pics of the outdrive and prop - and for a boat that's allegedly only got 130 hours, and freshwater use only, there's a fair amount of corrosion. The prop and outdrive have also been painted. It's a 270 hp Merc 5.0 GXi, with an Alpha 1 outdrive.

Would this level of corrosion on a 6 year old boat with 130 hours on it encourage you to look at a different boat? This boat is on the market at ~ $25K, 21' Chaparral, 130 hours.

Attachments

• Merc outdrive.jpg
    Merc outdrive.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How much corrosion is too much on used?

Sandy, that does not appear to be corrosion you're looking at. The gloss of the paint has been chemically stripped off. Judging by the spray pattern it looks like the owner used brake cleaner or some type of harsh chemical cleaner to clean up the trim pistons. I've seen it many times before. Doesn't look pretty but it's not corrosion and won't effect how the drive functions. I don't see any damage to the drive or the prop. If the owner painted the prop to make it look pretty no big deal either. No reason to take this boat out of the running just for that. Your marine surveyor should concur. If it makes you feel any better here are some picks of 22 year old alpha 1 gen 2 drives WITH some corrosion used exclusively in salt water that still functioned fine when I sold them last season. Again not pretty but functionally has no effect on how the drives perform.

drive.jpgdrive2.jpgdrive3.jpg

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tazrig, thanks for the reply. Interesting that you're thinking harsh chemicals - it looks very much like the corrosion we've seen on jet ski interiors that haven't been well-maintained but which *have* been ridden in the ocean.

DH is OCD about this stuff - I'm trying to convince him that a bit of corrosion or cosmetic issues on a BOAT that we're going to keep OUTSIDE on a lift is normal. Thanks for the support. ;)

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It looks like nothing to get excited about. Its an outdrive; it will get scratched up anyway. If your husband is OCD about stuff like that, tell him to sand and repaint.

There is no such thing as a Mercruiser GXi. That is a Volvo-Penta engine designation. If thats what the owner called it, I'd have a lot of other questions for him...

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like nothing to get excited about. Its an outdrive; it will get scratched up anyway. If your husband is OCD about stuff like that, tell him to sand and repaint.

There is no such thing as a Mercruiser GXi. That is a Volvo-Penta engine designation. If thats what the owner called it, I'd have a lot of other questions for him...

Sorry, Mercruiser MPI. Thanks for the catch. I should know better than to talk and type at the same time. :D

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Tazrig, thanks for the reply. Interesting that you're thinking harsh chemicals - it looks very much like the corrosion we've seen on jet ski interiors that haven't been well-maintained but which *have* been ridden in the ocean.

DH is OCD about this stuff - I'm trying to convince him that a bit of corrosion or cosmetic issues on a BOAT that we're going to keep OUTSIDE on a lift is normal. Thanks for the support. ;)

If you look at the the bell housing you'll see it isn't effected and the area directly in back of the pistons is effected the most. Thats from a spray of some type. If it was corrosion the Mercruiser sticker would have bubbling under it or have fallen off completely. Zincs tend to wear in a somewhat even pattern. Notice how the zincs on the pistons look much more used (where the spray hit) than the one on the front of the drive where it was protected from the spray? Again, nothing to worry about. Good luck in your decision and more importantly with DH's boating OCD. ;):D:lol:

TilliamWe

Banned

Since the others have correctly pointed out that that isn't corrosion...

I'll answer your question in the title "How much corrosion is too much on used". The answer is:

When it's enough to require replacement of components that are too expensive to afford or too complicated for you to do on your own.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If DH is OCD about paint on a prop or skeg, he's not going to enjoy boating much nor will he be much fun to be around.

But if you all are committed, look into the kind of boat that is made for outdoor use and can be left unwashed and uncovered; the ones with lots of padding and plastic fancies and carpeting take a lot of work and care, adn don't hold up outdoors--which takes time away from boating.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As mentioned, that isn't corrosion, it's just jacked up clear coat. I wouldn't worry about it. Man I'll tell you, if there was ever anyone who should really just buy new, it's you guys! :eek:

TilliamWe

Banned

As mentioned, that isn't corrosion, it's just jacked up clear coat. I wouldn't worry about it. Man I'll tell you, if there was ever anyone who should really just buy new, it's you guys! :eek:

No, cause any "perceived flaw" will make the entire boat and its manufacturer a p.o.s. ;)

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:)

Dude, I've lived with this for 32 years - and in the end, we find vehicles that work for both of us. Since he's the one "stuck" with the maintenance and repair, I will not override him. "Yes, dear" works both ways. ;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think the point is that boats are nothing but a collection of problems and flaws. While many require more basic care and maintenance to stay looking new, none will ever stay looking perfect. "Ordinary wear and tear" happens, and much more and faster than on a vehicle.

I remember reading about 4-wheel courses rated in part on how "dent-tolerant" you are. It's an interesting way to think about what you are subjecting your vehicle to, and mind or couldn't stand. Well, using a boat, you have to be very "dent tolerant" or you won't be very happy.

And there's a big time factor. Get a cushy boat that can't handle outdoor use (sofa boat) and you spend more hours maintaining than driving. get a carefree boat and never miss boating for cleaning, don't waste money on covers. It's all about how you like spending your time.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

:)

Dude, I've lived with this for 32 years - and in the end, we find vehicles that work for both of us. Since he's the one "stuck" with the maintenance and repair, I will not override him. "Yes, dear" works both ways. ;)

I can at least sorta understand. I've bought at least two used cars that I didn't go over carefully enough at the lot and when I got them home I was a bit dismayed at the amount of defects.

To Home Cookin's point though, as disappointing as it was when the paint job I had so meticulously applied to my boat failed (long story), it was also a bit if a relief because now I don't have to worry about stuff. Fenders? Who needs 'em! :p

ziggy

Admiral

hard to tell from the pic. but it might not even be corrosion. it could be hard minerals from when the boat is on plane and the drive is out of the water. it gets hot and boils the water off it. what is left is hard minerals.

that's a pic of my '75 drive after too many runs w/o cleaning the minerals off. a quick scrubbing with some lime away and it comes right off and looks like this after completion.

this is easy to do. i apply lime away, scrub with a brush for a moment and rinse and then use soapy water to wash it off again. takes about 2 mins to do (the lime away isn't on the drive for much more than 30 sec.) when your washing your boat.
i suppose it could be corrosion, but it could be minerals too. i can't tell from the pic. just another possibility other than corrosion.
fwiw. my neighbor got a new boat. his genII drive looks more like my first pic. so imho, it can happen to a newer drive too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

These have a little bit of corrosion on them.......

Mercruiser-corrosion.jpg

Thalasso

Commander

It's a Merc. They can't keep factory paint on them