new impeller shattered

I installed a new impeller in my 87 Johnson-25 hp- I started engine and no water pumped through after 30 seconds I shut down engine-took apart impeller housing and my impeller was in several pieces- give me some pointers so when I redo this next week I can be more proud of my so called skills, thanks, nattyboomboom

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: new impeller shattered

The impeller edge was possibly caught under the impeller housing... or the impeller was the wrong one, something of that nature.

If running in a barrel, the water must be a few inches above the water pump location.

Are you running on a boat in the water, on a garden hose flushette, or in a barrel?

91 Sprint

Cadet

this may be a silly question but when you installed the impeller into the cup did you turn it the direction it is suppose to turn?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

this may be a silly question but when you installed the impeller into the cup did you turn it the direction it is suppose to turn?

Good question..... Regardless of which direction the impeller is turned to when installed within the impeller housing, or even if a few blades are facing various directions (it happens), the impeller will automatically correct itself the instant the engine cranks over.

check the tangs on the metal part of the water pump housing are not bent or smashed. If you had to crank down on a socket to close the gap something might have moved as you assembled it.