Is it ok to wash the gauges, switches, etc on the helm?

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been cautious when washing around the gauges and switches on the dash on my 2002 Triton Fish and Ski. Gently running a soapy cloth over them and spraying them clean with a light spray. I was curious what your procedures were for cleaning the helm area. Is it unnessesary to be cautious or should I not even be washing at all around the controls.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Is it ok to wash the gauges, switches, etc on the helm?

I try to watch hosing that area down, and generally go back at it with a rag and spray (sorta as you describe it). But I don't panic if I get it wet ... it's been caught in a rainstorm before and that's no better than a hose. It's designed with a little bit of "weather" in mind.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with what's been posted, although I try to keep that area as dry as possible, JMO.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wouldn't use a pressure washer but a little hose off shouldn't hurt.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't use a pressure washer but a little hose off shouldn't hurt.

Yeah. I wash the dash when I wash the boat. I use very light pressure scrubbing it, and I rinse it with 'rain shower' pressure from the hose nozzle. I angle the flow so it's raining down on the gauges and switches rather than hitting them dead on. Three different boats and I haven't had any issues with water going where it shouldn't.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i figure boats are meant to get wet but i dont drown the gauges

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't use water anywhere near the helm. Far too may things to go wrong. A damp rag does the trick.