Can I replace my DP-A drive with a 290 drive?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am going to pick up a trailer my a guy as my trailer is crap. He is parting out the boat on it, and says he has the 290 drive still. Not sure if he has the transom assembly with it. My 22' boat doesnt really need a duo prop, and the thought of replacing that propeller is kind of scary expensive. This 290 drive of his only has about 4 hours of use on a complete overhaul.
Question: can I bolt up this 290 drive to my DP-A transom assembly? I could probably score the drive for under $300 with props.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I replace my DP-A drive with a 290 drive?

Question: can I bolt up this 290 drive to my DP-A transom assembly? I could probably score the drive for under $300 with props.

Yes, make sure it's the same gear ratio.

WARNING
If you ever install and run that DP drive for one weekend, you will never remove it from your boat again and you will never go back to a single prop.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don,
I have ran it once. The boat weighs 3300lbs dry. Pretty light for a 22' cabin cruiser with a 8.5' beam I think.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suppose the deciding factor would be: is the boat going to perform marginally better with a duo vs single prop? Or is it a huge difference. I can find single volvo penta props on every corner for $100. Duo props are running me at least $400 for a beat up used one.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have decided to stick with the DP-A drive.