Is a 20hp outboard big enough for a 14' fiberglass boat?

kkahl395

Recruit
I have an ebkraft 14' fiberglass boat. Most likely from the 60's. Currently it has a 1957 35hp Johnson Seahorse that when it worked plained out the boat. I'm replacing that old motor and would like to know if a 1969 20 hp mercury will still plain out the boat? I realize there may be more variables i.e. weight of the boat. I don't know the exact weight besides HEAVY. I'm guessing around 500lbs.

Thanks,
Kraig

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is a 20hp outboard big enough for a 14' fiberglass boat?

From my short experiance I think that the outboard is way to small for the weight of the boat. You also have to take into consideration other weight factors such as yourself, fuel, battries, other gear you might have and if you will be boating with someone else as well.

Question for you? Why dont you try and fix/rebuilt the existing outboard? Is it beyond fepair?

kkahl395

Recruit

From my short experiance I think that the outboard is way to small for the weight of the boat. You also have to take into consideration other weight factors such as yourself, fuel, battries, other gear you might have and if you will be boating with someone else as well.

Question for you? Why dont you try and fix/rebuilt the existing outboard? Is it beyond fepair?

I don't think the old motor is beyond repair but would like something newer and more reliable. I think the price to repair would be around the same price as the newer motor $550.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

I hear yaa. Dont take my word for it. I am also a newbie but from what I have experiances so far I think you would need at least 45+ HP outboard to go with your setup. But lets see what the experts have to say. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't know where you are located, but around here, you would be able to buy a newer or larger motor than a 20, for $550.

Heck, I've got a fully functional 50 hp I'm selling for $300.

I think you should keep shopping till you find a slightly larger motor.

kkahl395

Recruit

I don't know where you are located, but around here, you would be able to buy a newer or larger motor than a 20, for $550.

Heck, I've got a fully functional 50 hp I'm selling for $300.

I think you should keep shopping till you find a slightly larger motor.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin and I have found very little for less than $500. 35hp is going for closer to $1000.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Motors that size are hard to find, but when a mid 70's motor pops up, they go for 500 or so.

kfa4303

Banned

HI kkhal. I used to have a '66 33hp tiller-drive Johnson on a little 14' fiberglass skiff and it was scary fast and a bit stern heavy. I now run a '66 20hp Johnson on my 14' semi-V aluminum hull and it easily pushes the boat out at over 20 mph. I hop up on plane in about 5-6 seconds and I can cruise all day at 70-80% throttle. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but she is surprisingly zippy for such a small light weight motor. One item that has helped the performance was a tiller extender I made out of 1-1/4" thin-walled PVC. Not only does it let me stand and run, which improves visibility greatly, it also lets me shift my weight around as needed. Here's a vid of the set up in action. No speed demon, but she's fun.

Wakulla Beach, FL movie.wmv - YouTube

kkahl395

Recruit

HI kkhal. I used to have a '66 33hp tiller-drive Johnson on a little 14' fiberglass skiff and it was scary fast and a bit stern heavy. I now run a '66 20hp Johnson on my 14' semi-V aluminum hull and it easily pushes the boat out at over 20 mph. I hop up on plane in about 5-6 seconds and I can cruise all day at 70-80% throttle. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but she is surprisingly zippy for such a small light weight motor. One item that has helped the performance was a tiller extender I made out of 1-1/4" thin-walled PVC. Not only does it let me stand and run, which improves visibility greatly, it also lets me shift my weight around as needed. Here's a vid of the set up in action. No speed demon, but she's fun.

Wakulla Beach, FL movie.wmv - YouTube

THanks for the info.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The 69 Merc may be tougher to find parts for and less reliable than the 57 Johnson.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here:

30 hp Johnson Tiller-- MINT

Not quite the price you want, but its late model, long shaft, tiller, electric and manual start.

3Ef3Fc3H75N45K15M9d498e430abd097f1e4f.jpg

Hurry Quick. :)

35 HP Crysler outboard (tiller)

$350 35 hp Chrysler

3F43Lc3H45Ib5N45Med496cafc4173f391aeb.jpg