Newbie - Replacing Rotten Wood in Jon Boat? Help!

weezyq8

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I got this boat for free from a relative, it has been sitting in his back yard for a few years now. I'm wanting to redo the wooden structure of the boat, but I don't have a clue what to do. I don't know anything about the boat, other than the fact that it is fiberglass with a wooden frame. Here are some pics of the damage: Rotten Boat - Imgur

Not sure what happened with the second photo, it looks fine on my phone. Anyway, please give me any suggestions on where to begin and what the extent of the repairs will be. I know some of you will say to just buy a new boat, but I want to make this a project to keep me busy or I will get lazy. Also, I don't want to drop much money into this boat. Thanks!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie - Replacing Rotten Wood in Jon Boat? Help!

Welcome to iBoats!
Your last statement is going to limit you in repairing this boat. Fiberglass repairs of this type are not inexpensive. My best guess-ti-mate to repair this little bass boat, and again I'm just guessing, She's about a 14 ft long by 5 ft wide by 3 ft deep boat, would be $750 - $1,500 in materials and about 80 to 100 hours of your time. That's NOT counting a Motor and a trailer if you have to buy them. Do a search on the forum for Deck Repair Stringer Repair, Transom Repair and you'll find plenty of pics and descriptions about what all you'll need to do to fix her up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie - Replacing Rotten Wood in Jon Boat? Help!

Woodonglass' estimate above is going to be pretty accurate. Personally I'd much sooner take than money and pick up a similar size aluminum hull that's ready to hang a motor on and go.