New (to me) boat and it's issues - trim, speedo, steering (so far)

Mikey_Boy

Recruit
First off - I'm brand new to this site as well as boating.

I just got a 1981 19' Cobalt bowrider with the OMC 260 and Stringer 800 outdrive. 280 hours on the clock. I'm pretty sure boat sat for a while - and I'm dealing with it now.

First off, it runs pretty smooth - takes some throttle to get started initially, but after she's warmed up it fires on the first crank.

So my issues:

Outdrive lowering/lifting: When I first put it in the water, the outdrive doesn't want to lower right away. After some time and pressing the button a few times, it'll lower. After it lowers once, it'll lift/lower with no problems. Seems kinda wierd to me - a timer of some kind maybe?

Speedometer not working: I haven't looked into this much. I do know the sensor is independant of the out drive

Trim not working: There is a trim button on the throttle. The guage (says) all the way down. When I get up to speed, the front is way high up and nothing is really happening when I try to adjust trim. IDK where to start on this one.

Steering feels notchy to me. Not very smooth: Steering works, it's just not very smooth. Would love to figure out what the issue is.

Oh, and clock doesn't work. But I think I can get over that.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: New (to me) boat and it's issues - trim, speedo, steering (so far)

Welcome aboard Mikey:

Your tilt issue is a little weird - that tilt system is known for being a stinker, but since yours works fine after the initial drop something is a little off. No timer on it at all, but perhaps your tilt switch is dirty or failing?

Speedometer has a pitot at the back of the boat (little tab stickin' down) - ya' might just check to see if the line is clear.

Trim on the Stringer happens at the front of the engine. There's an electric motor plugged into a jackscrew. If you're not getting solenoids clickin', I would check power to the solenoids first. if you get good juice coming into them and going outta' them ... then it's time to yank that electric motor and check it out.

Do you know if you have power steering? Tru-Course Steering on the Stringer may mean you need to take the drive off to check it out. Do you know if the drive turns fine if you unhook the steering cable?

wrench 3

Commander

It might be worth checking the oil in the clutch housing on the tilt system. The round housing to port of the out drive, outside the boat. The fill plug is on the side cover on the housing. Fill to the plug level with 30 weight oil.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 1981 wasn't the trim on the motor hydraulic. That's the way mine is on my 3.8L.

Mikey_Boy

Recruit

Hey, good info here. Thanks everyone.

I haven't had a chance to look at the boat again (probably will this weekend), but I'll go through the stuff mentioned. I have a feeling it wasn't used for quite some time before I got it. I'm also dealing with the trailer brakes as well (whole different issue there).

So if the trim is hydrolic, wouldn't there be fluid to check? I'm going to check the oil in the out drive before I do anything else with it...and what kind of 30 weight oil to I get?

Also, I chewed the prop up a little (newb mistake - slightly grounded it). No blades broken, just a little marred. No vibes while boating, so I think I'm pretty safe that the prop shaft isn't bent (I'll check it when I swap the prop out).

So question on the prop - do I need grease when i put the new one on? It uses a 1 1/4" socket, right?

My next stop will have to be one of the many marine supply stores around here so I can at least look around and see what these things are.

wrench 3

Commander

They never used hydraulic trim/tilt on the stringers. They had an electric motor and gear drive on the front engine mount for the trim, and another electric motor down low on the port side, right back against the transom, with a shaft going to a worm drive in the clutch housing outside the boat.
Any minor damage to the prop can be straightened out with two hammers and any rough edges filed off.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

They never used hydraulic trim/tilt on the stringers. They had an electric motor and gear drive on the front engine mount for the trim, and another electric motor down low on the port side, right back against the transom, with a shaft going to a worm drive in the clutch housing outside the boat.
Any minor damage to the prop can be straightened out with two hammers and any rough edges filed off.

I must have a one of a kind the because mine is hydraulic. It has a pump and two cylinders on the front of the motor. With hydraulic lines. Here is a link to a parts diagram. OMC Stern Drive Engine Mount Group Parts for 1981 3.8 L 170SPMRCIS Stern Drive

southkogs

Staff member

I must have a one of a kind the because mine is hydraulic. It has a pump and two cylinders on the front of the motor. With hydraulic lines. Here is a link to a parts diagram. OMC Stern Drive Engine Mount Group Parts for 1981 3.8 L 170SPMRCIS Stern Drive
I might be a little off, but I think the Ford V8's were the ones with hydraulic trims. I'm thinking 'cause the OP has a GM base, he's electric.

wrench 3

Commander

If any one knows what years and models they used them on, I'd be interested in finding out. I've worked on both ford and GM powered and haven't run into one.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is a Chevy 3.8. 1981 and I got spare parts off a 1984 boat with a 3.8L that had them.

Mikey_Boy

Recruit

Thanks for the adivce on the prop. The boat came with two extra props, so I'm going to put one of those one and ditch the one I chewed up.

As far as electric vs. hydrolic, I'm going to look this weekend to see if I can figure it out. Is there anything specific I need to look for?

wrench 3

Commander

Either electric or hydraulic,they both use solenoids for up and down. Check for power to them, make sure they are both grounded and see if power comes through them when they're activated.
If you don't get power to activate them, there is a fuse in the supply line to the control switch.

Mikey_Boy

Recruit

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm not getting anything there, so it could very well be a fuse. I need to get trim taken care of...my wife gets a little freaked at how much the front of the boat comes up at speed :D

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

all the 3.8's and 4.3's on stringers used hydraulic front engine mounts (which is why OSCO replacement manifolds the only option for exhaust now for the V6 chev stringers). Some Chev V8's used hydraulic and some used jackscrew. Some Ford V8's used an electromechanical jackscrew, and others had a big 1 piece front mount that had the 2 hydraulic rams built into it.

wrench 3

Commander

Thanks Howard. But it still sounds like the only way is to look and see whats in there.