Battery for Evinrude 55HP

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
My starter battery pooed out and was wondering what you folks would recommend for my boat. I have on old 16' Starcraft that I am rewiring as we speak. Motor is a 55hp Evinrude that is not used often...maybe 3-4 times a year. However the bilge pump (725 gph rule) is also connected to the same battery plus radio, fish finder, and navigation lights. I am adding a 10 circuit fuse panel to the boat to take care of present and future needs and will probably add LED lighting later on and possibly a CMC tilt (next year) hopefully....I have a separate battery for the trolling motor. I have plenty of room to work with. The old one I had may have been OK but since alot of stuff on the old boat has not been I want to be safe.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Battery for Evinrude 55HP

I use a pair of Interstate SRM-29 deep cycle/cranking batteries with a transfer switch A, B, AB, off. It's a pontoon boat that we camp on so I wanted the reserve power. For regular applications I would say one would be fine. You may want to sit down when you price them.

82rude

Rear Admiral

yah .i paid well north or 100 for my blue top optima .that being said it starts 60hp etec ,runs fishy finder and builge pumps.one thing i found out by pure lazyness and forgetfulness was how tuff these batteries are.i live in northern ontario and winter gets real cold.didnt take battery out of boat this year after winterizing the etec.put boat in backyard with cover on it and forgot all about the blasted battery.well boat sat from october to april wthout me really doing anything then i decided to check things out.undid cover and a hook on the cover caught on the key and the motor instantly started.shut it off fast so no damage done but shows you the toughtness of the battery.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Will check those out. Thanks!