Options on drive couplers

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice
Well, My drive coupler is about shot. I checked it while doing the bellows/gimbal bearing replacement.

My question is, does anyone still sell the old style drive coulper or do I have to change to the new style? I've looked around and all I can seem to find is the new style and it ain't cheap.

This is on an 89 4.3LX/ Alpha1

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Options on drive couplers

Well, My drive coupler is about shot. I checked it while doing the bellows/gimbal bearing replacement.

My question is, does anyone still sell the old style drive coulper or do I have to change to the new style? I've looked around and all I can seem to find is the new style and it ain't cheap.

This is on an 89 4.3LX/ Alpha1

Thanks

Ayuh,.... I believe iboats sells the carbon copy of yers....

No reason to change to a different style, 'n if ya did, it probably won't clear the flywheel cover...

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice

So what your saying is that it has the round style that bolts to the crankshaft as opposed to being bolted to the flywheel?

The reason I ask is iboats does show a triangular style (I'm guessing it's the "new one") and the round one. I can't find any information on which style I have and, I need to make sure I get the correct one the first time as I will be "borrowing" a hoist from the airport.

Bondo

Staff member

So what your saying is that it has the round style that bolts to the crankshaft as opposed to being bolted to the flywheel?

The reason I ask is iboats does show a triangular style (I'm guessing it's the "new one") and the round one. I can't find any information on which style I have and, I need to make sure I get the correct one the first time as I will be "borrowing" a hoist from the airport.

Ayuh,.... You have to use the Same style that's was on it when last workin',....

You don't state yer serial number, 'n parts are sold by serial number, Not by vintage....

Lookin' at This page, check yer Serial number, 'n the coupler listed should be a carbon copy of the 1 ya took off...

Ya don't actually say so, but I'm guessin' you've got the smaller 1 that bolts to the Crankshaft, insteada the flywheel,..??
If so, ya need the Same smaller crankshaft mounted coupler....

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice

If I remember right the serial number starts with OC*******. Looking at that page for a bit it seems like their trying to get away from a bunch of different couplers to just a few because the same P/N works on alot of different engines but, it could be just me.

Guess I'll order one up

Thanks again bond-o

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All the LX engines used the heavier duty coupler bolted to the flywheel. Not sure you can even bolt the older (smaller) couplers to that flywheel. I know you would also need the stud kit, but no clue if the flywheel was thicker in that area or not.
The OC number is from 88 to 92 engines.

Back in the 85 to 87 section they show both the small and the larger like you have, but there was also 2 different flywheels and two different crankshafts, to go along with the different couplers.

Don S

I don't know what to tell you. There are couplers for the newer engines that look the same in a picture, but I have no clue if they will fit on your flywheel or not.
The reason for the shaft is it has the 3rd oring groove in it for the greasable coupler. (can be greased while boat is in the water without pulling the drive).

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice

I understand now. Really don't care to spend the extra money on that particular one. I pull the drive every spring and check the bellows, gimble bearing and u-joints just for piece of mind (and I'm a little anal retentive after 20yrs of working on aircraft). The shaft gets greased then and is good for the summer. I guess to make sure i get the right one i just need to pull the drive, then the engine and get that sucker outta there.

Thanks for the help. I'm learning more and more from you guys. Maybe one day I can return the favor

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you look at the first item in the link below, it shows a part number of 18643A5 for the coupler only.

Then using that part number, you can find several places that sell just the coupler including here at IBOATS.

Note that you need to verify this is indeed the correct coupler as I was searching based upon the link you provided that shows a part number of 18643A7.

Mercruiser engine couplings

Mark

Don S

achris

More fish than mountain goat

We all know that already, he was wanting to go to the smaller coupler instead of spending the money for the correct one.

Ok... I guess he can put the smaller one on, but it ain't gunna work! (Yes we all know that too.... except him)

Chris......

Don S

Ok... I guess he can put the smaller one on, but it ain't gunna work! (Yes we all know that too.... except him)

Chris......

Read reply #6

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link Mark. They've got the best price so far.

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice

Don't get me wrong. I want to make sure i get the right one just not looking forward to paying upwards of 350-400 bucks for it. Now that I know for sure it is the triangular one that's what i'll get. I was just hopeing that the smaller one would work as i have a good one sitting in my garage.
Believe me. I won't be putting wrong parts on this old boat even if it does save me a couple bucks. Again, after 20+yrs in the aviation industry I know how wrong parts can cause alot more than headaches.