New/ used engine

Zraden

Seaman Apprentice
Ok .. like I was saying in other posts, Im not going to dismiss the fact that I might need a new engine.
I have read a ton about people doing swaps and stuff but there seems to be a massive debate
about what internals need to be swapped over. Some info says nothing and its a direct swap over
with the exception of course with the accessories ( starter, alt, distribuitor, ect)

Others say you can only use the block and nothing else. :faint2:

So what is it and why such a debate?

As for the donor, what should I keep my eyes out for, even just for a block. Chev s-10 and Blazer only?

Its a 1990 4.3 with s/n 0C873497

Keep in mind I'm land locked and the engine will never be exposed to salt water.
How hard would it be to switch to fuel injected if that's all I can find for a donor?

Zraden

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New/ used engine

The only differences I can see listed from a marine engine shop are:

The freeze plugs are of a corrosion inhibiting material. $10 for 6 plugs .. no biggie

The head gaskets also utilize corrosion resistant construction. $20 difference from auto gasket.

The valve guides utilize corrosion resistant construction. ?

The water pumps are intended for a marine operating environment (seals and bearings). I would be using my old one anyways.

The camshaft is designed to marine duty requirements as needed to move a boat versus a car. Again.. just use mine,

Anything else I'm missing here?

Bondo

Staff member

The only differences I can see listed from a marine engine shop are:

The freeze plugs are of a corrosion inhibiting material. $10 for 6 plugs .. no biggie

The head gaskets also utilize corrosion resistant construction. $20 difference from auto gasket.

The valve guides utilize corrosion resistant construction. ?

The water pumps are intended for a marine operating environment (seals and bearings). I would be using my old one anyways.

The camshaft is designed to marine duty requirements as needed to move a boat versus a car. Again.. just use mine,

Anything else I'm missing here?

Ayuh,... If ya get a motor outa a Truck, I wouldn't change the cam,....

'n there's nothin' different 'bout the valve guides...

Zraden

Seaman Apprentice

OH! I found a 90 chev blazer 4x4 with 160 KM for $500 ready to go.
Just change head gaskets, pump and externals?