Please Help! Need Advice!

bayriderpro

Recruit
Hey guys, long time reader, 1st time poster.

I am looking to purchase my 1st pwc (I have much experience with riding - just have not owned one).

I am currently looking between the Yamaha VXR, Seadoo GTX 215, and the Seadoo GTX S 155. I have spoken with many dealers and cannot get my questions answered properly and am hoping some experienced fellas could help me out.

I will be mainly using the pwc in Galveston Bay, Texas.

Qualms:

Closed Loop Cooling - from what I have read, this is the way to go for ocean driving (which leads me more towards seadoo). Will I have more maintenance issues with the Yamaha because of an open loop cooling system?

iS Suspension on the GTX S 155: I have read both good an bad about this (not regarding maintenance) - Some say that it is great for mildly rough water (.5-1ft swells) but in Galveston, I would say in open water they are more 2-3 feet (lower on a calm day). I have read reports of people not enjoying the suspension system in the rougher waters but only mildy rough - any input?

GTX 215: No suspension system but has a super charger, I would get the 5 year maintenance from head to toe to hedge any issues with the SC.

All 3 of these are in the same ball park (12.5k-13.3k) and I cannot make a decision and would greatly appreciate some input!!

Thanks in advance!

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Please Help! Need Advice!

Welcome Bayrider. All 3 are nice skis. The VXR is a rocket. The fastest of the 3, but more flat bottom and no frills, ie: no trim, no adjustable handlebars, no cruise control, and minimal storage, but 67+ mph. You really need to ride a suspension model to determine for yourself how it feels. Mostly I hear good things about them, but it does cut down on some storage and makes working around the engine tighter. You would probably love the GTX 215. SeaDoo has long since resolved their supercharger issues. Approx. 64 mph ski w/ room for upgrading in the future if you want. The GTX 155 has a bulletproof 4-tech engine but at 55 mph, may leave you wanting more and theres not much you can do for upgrades. As far as closed vs. open loop cooling, you'll just have to be a little more vigilant w/ your post ride flushing. If the resident experts don't chime in soon, check out Greenhulk.net for other opinions. Good luck !!!