This Little Guy Kept Me From Working on the SaraBelle

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I had big plans this weekend to get started on Springtime maintenance, installing a new sounds system, SeaDek, etc. I typically bring my boat home from the marina to do work because all of my tools are at home...makes sense.

When I got to the marina and the hitch wouldn't go on. When the marina installed the new boot stripe this winter, I think they bent the ball latch on my trailer. To there credit, the ball latch on a Titan actuator seems to be the opposite of other trailers when locking or unlocking the actuator from the hitch.

So this little $6.00 part screwed up my weekend. Photo on 4-6-13 at 12.13 PM #2.jpg

I called about 6 different boat and trailer shops around Minneapolis/St. Paul and no one had the part or kit. So I ordered 2 today.

Anyway, I thought I'd share....nothing like a $6.00 part to mess up plans.....

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: This Little Guy Kept Me From Working on the SaraBelle

Sorry for your troubles but I 've had 10 cent O-rings ruin mine before.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I read the title of your thread, I thought I was going to see a photo of a new baby.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for want of a nail...

it's really scary to think about how the whole boat's survival, or function, rests on small cheap plastic or pot metal parts: through-hulls, gaskets, bilge pumps, sea cocks, etc.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ A guy at the Marina said something similar.
First he said; "Take it to the shop and we'll bend that back into place".
I gave him the, "Are you crazy" look. He laughed of course.
He then said; "Isn't that amazing? A $6.00 part on your trailer, which could potentially be between life and death."
All I could say was; "No $**t".

It's too bad that he even suggested it though. He obviously meant it at first, but seemed to play it off when you gave him the "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis" look. It makes you wonder what other corners they'd be willing to cut that could affect your safety

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Naw...He was messing around. I should have clarified that it was a fellow boater and not the marina staff. The marina said they'd take care of it and ordered me a new one.

The marina I rent a slip from is also pretty cool at letting you use there shop for small stuff, hence why the other boater brought it up.

Good to know. Is that at one of the marinas on Minnetonka I presume, or is this somewhere along the river in SE Minnesota?

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Watergate Marina. Lock and Dam #1 on the Mighty Mississippi. It's been a good outfit so far. I've only been there a year.