What model is my Johnson? Plz help!!

2013-04-08 09.06.11.jpg2013-04-08 09.06.18.jpg2013-04-08 09.06.30.jpgCan anyone tell me if they know what model my new outboard is? Im pretty sure shes a 79 but not sure of the exact model? Is it even possible to tell from photos? Thanks.

Re: What model is my Johnson? Plz help!!

If you cant tell the model , is there a another spot on the motor that i can find a tag.(there is none on the transom mount)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Look for a quarter size core plug on the powerhead... looks like a small freeze out plug. That may contain the model number.

I know this will sound ignorant but what is the powerhead? the round thing under the motor cover? I really know zero about outboards.sorry.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The powerhead (assembly) is the block, crankshaft, piston(s), head, connecting rod.... the entire top engine assembly.

Thanks,would the quarter sized plug be on the side or top. I see one on the side but it just has an "m" on it.i want to order parts but am not sure what model i should be looking at? Thanks for all your help sir.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

THere would only be one core plug, sounds like you found it but it's of no help. Hopefully someone can help you via the pictures.

Gus Nelson

Cadet

The plug will usally be a silver color look on top of the head( where spark plugs are)or on one the sides. You'll find it.

Upon closer inspection in better light I have found a number on the place you told me to look!! Thanks. It was also under a coat of paint.I sanded it down and found it!
Thanks alot Joe & Gus!!!
The numbers read C8042579.
Now to find the actual model.
One step closer.
Thanks Again.